The healthcare industry is one of the most important sectors in any country in the world. As always, this industry needs fresh, young minds to help improve the health of patients worldwide. Australia’s healthcare studies programs have an excellent reputation as among the best in the world. When completing these courses, you will be exposed to various practical training methods and situations as early as your first year. Most major universities in Australia offer health science programs that can cater to your educational needs, and the programs shared below represent some of the paths you can take in health science.
Medicine and oral health sciencesAustralia has an excellent reputation in the field of medicine and dentistry. The programs are typically grounded in problem-based learning, but also integrate medical science and clinical studies so you can enjoy a wider range of the health science field. There are numerous tertiary institutions for you to study medicine or dentistry in Australia with some of the most popular ones including the University of New South Wales (UNSW), Monash University, University of Queensland (UQ), and James Cook University (JCU). Numerous universities also offer oral healthcare or dentistry, including the University of Sydney, Griffith University, the University of Western Australia, Melbourne University Dental School and many more. However, just keep in mind before doing many medicine degrees in Australia that you must first complete a pre-approved undergraduate degree.
Nursing, midwifery, and paramedicineNurses, midwives, and paramedics play a vital role in any community. They are especially needed during emergency healthcare where they provide assistance to both doctors and patients that requires specific skills and training. Many Australian universities offer extensive learning and training for students who are interested in this field of study, including a Bachelor of Nursing or Midwifery, a Masters in Nursing, Graduate Certificate Programs in Nursing, and even research programs.
Paramedicine programs are typically offered in many vocational and community colleges in Australia where you can opt for a certificate, diploma, or associate degree. In addition, there are also universities that offer bachelor’s programs such as the University of Queensland, Victoria University, and Curtin University.
Other study options
The healthcare industry is a large and diverse sector where you can opt to specialise in numerous opportunities including:
- Laboratory medicine – A course that will prepare you for a rewarding career in positively influencing the welfare of patients through pathology and diagnostics.
- Occupational therapy (sometimes called “OT”) – Assisting patients in managing their physical constraints and optimising their lifestyle.
- Human movement and exercise science – This allows you to specialise in exercise and sports science and focus on helping patients become physically healthier and stronger.
- Physiotherapy – A popular field that helps patients overcome various movement disorders across musculoskeletal conditions.
- Health industry management – Is a course offered for those who want to advance their leadership and management skills in the healthcare industry.
- International health – This course focuses on current knowledge and practice in international healthcare.
- Radiation science – This field is one of the most in-demand fields in the healthcare industry and allows people to specialise in various areas like medical imaging, radiation therapy, sonography and more.
- Nutrition and food science – Another popular degree that assists people to become healthy with the right food choices and nutrition.
- Public health – Is a course designed for those who wish to develop skills and knowledge in the Public Health sector.
- Mental health – For those who have a passion for helping those with mental health conditions.
As well as the above options, there are also numerous professional and post-graduate programs you can choose to enrol in. Read more about some of the best healthcare support jobs available to graduates in Australia.
This is a great opportunity for those who want to enjoy further studies in the field of health sciences.
Contact our friendly counsellors to help you pick the best university that matches the course that you wish to complete.
Simply fill in the form below and one of our IDP Education counsellors will be in touch.