Today, ECE is a booming industry. Many Australian universities and colleges offer training and programs to help those who are interested in this field. In addition, there are also universities that offer further studies for educators who want to learn the latest techniques and methods in ECE.
Rewarding careerMany educators in ECE often say that this career path is rewarding and fulfilling at the same time. Teaching young children is challenging because you are preparing the future generation of leaders and members of society.
Jobs for teachers
Job opportunities are endless for those who are trained in ECE. All around the world, the demand for skilled teachers is increasing every year as the world’s population continues to grow, along with the number of children needing to be educated. International students who also want to settle in Australia will be able to find plenty of opportunities if they plan to take this career path. Australia is said to have an estimated 1.5 million children who are currently attending day-care facilities. In fact, ECE jobs are one of the top five occupations in Australia, with childcare jobs growing in larger cities where many parents are working.
There are plenty of available roles in ECE that usually depend on the program or degree you have completed, including:\
- Director/educational leader/nominated supervisor – people responsible for the overall management of the educational facility. They plan and direct academic and non-academic activities for children. They also provide learning assistance to families and preschool teachers.
- Preschool teachers – qualified childhood teachers or educators who work with young children on physical, social and intellectual growth through different subjects like play, arts, music, shapes and letters.
- Teachers’ assistants – provide one-on-one assistance for students with disabilities or students who speak English as a second language. They also tutor, observe performance and behaviour, and organise activities for all students.
- Experts in ECE – to this day, ECE is continually being developed, with many innovations applied to some schools around the world. Some choose to help in research and developing new curriculum.
- Child and family social workers – people in the field of social work, specialising in young children, family disputes and difficulties.
Universities in Australia
Most universities in Australia offer ECE programs for interested international students. Some specialise in training future teachers, while some offer high-quality master’s degrees. It is important to consider the university where you will be getting your degree. Graduating in good schools will offer wider options for you in the future, with some of the top institutions being:
- Griffith University
- RMIT University
- Curtin University
- University of Sydney
- University of South Australia
- Queensland University of Technology
- Swinburne University
- Macquarie University
- Victoria University
- Deakin University
- Western Sydney University.
In addition, many other small colleges and educational facilities also offer certificate training for aspiring teachers and educators.
Want to know more about early childhood education programs in Australia?
Register for a no cost, no obligation discussion with an IDP Education counsellor near you: