Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Coronavirus: important updates for IDP students

Keep up to date about the latest news on the Coronavirus outbreak and how it may impact your studies

As you will be aware, governments around the world have introduced health and safety measures and travel restrictions to prevent the spread of the novel Coronavirus.

We understand this may be confusing if you are commencing your studies, so read the below information to find out if you are impacted by the changes, and where you can go for support.

Will I be impacted?

Governments are regularly updating information about Coronavirus, so it is important to keep up to date with the latest news from the country you will be studying in.

If you have travelled from mainland China or have had recent contact with someone from Hubei province, then you will likely be impacted by the recent changes.

If you have already arrived in your new destination from Hubai province, please seek medical advice from a local doctor as early as possible. Your university or school will be able to connect you to a medical professional. You can also contact your local IDP office for advice.

For any students who have booked flights from China to Australia, or if you are travelling to China, your flight arrangement might be impacted by travel restrictions. It is important to check your airline’s website or contact the airline directly for any changes to your flight.

Visit the World Health Organizaton website for information on protecting yourself from Coronavirus.

Students travelling from China to Australia

As of 1 February 2020, the Australian Government has put in place travel restrictions for anyone arriving from any part of mainland China, with the exceptions of Australian citizens, permanent residents and their immediate family members.

The travel restrictions are a temporary measure but will be reviewed after 14 February 2020. For the latest news on Australia’s travel restrictions, visit the Department of Home Affairs website. You can view and download up-to-date information for all types of visa holders in English or Chinese (simplified).

If you have flight arrangements in place, your plans may be affected by the travel restrictions. Many major airlines are cancelling or restricting flights to and from China. It is important to check your airline’s website or contact the airline directly for any changes to your flight.

For the latest information about the Coronavirus in Australia, visit the Australian Government Department of Health website.

Will this impact my university start date?

If you are enrolled to start in Semester 1 2020 and unable to enter Australia due to the travel restrictions, you will need to get in touch with your university or school as soon as possible as you are most likely required to complete your enrolment, even if you are not able to enter Australia.

Many Australian universities have delayed their semester start dates or have put in place changes to assist international students who have been impacted by the recent travel ban.

We recommend you contact your university or school as soon as possible to discuss your possible study options or deferring your studies to start at a later date.

If you would like more information or support, contact your IDP Counsellor or local IDP office.

Changes to student accommodation

If you are travelling to Australia or have recently arrived in Australia from mainland China, then it is vital you check in with your student accommodation provider prior to your arrival.

Some student accommodation providers may require you to provide additional information or may change or delay your accommodation arrangements if you are deemed at-risk of the Coronavirus.

International students in Australia

If you an international student who has returned from mainland China from 1 February 2020, or if you have travelled from Hubai province in the last 14 days, then you are required  by the Australian Department of Health to self-isolate for 14 days (2 weeks).

Self-isolating means you are required to stay in your local accommodation. You are required to avoid going out into public spaces such as restaurants, supermarkets, workplaces, universities and any other public places that you will come into contact with people. You are also required to avoid receiving visitors into your home or local accommodation.

If you are starting your studies during the time you are required to self-isolate, contact your school or university to discuss your study options. Many universities have put in place measures to assist students who are required to self-isolate, such as delayed semester starts or online study options.

If you, or any friends and family start showing flu-like symptoms such as a cough, fever, sore throat or shortness of breath, it is important to contact your local doctor. Please make sure you call before you visit and explain your symptoms and travel history to ensure they are prepared to receive you.

If you require immediate and urgent medical attention, you can call 000. Any ambulance and hospital fees will be covered by your Overseas Health Cover (OHC).

These measures are put in place to limit the possibility of spreading the Coronavirus to the general population.

International student helpline

If you have any questions or want to know more, the Australian Government have created a dedicated email and phone service to assist international students who are commencing their studies in Australia.

You can contact them via email or phone 1300 981 621 (8am–8pm AEDST Monday to Friday).

For the latest news and updates on the Coronavirus for international students, visit the Study in Australia website.

International students in other countries

For the latest information about how other countries are responding to the Coronavirus, visit the country’s government websites.

Changes to IELTS testing

There are currently changes being made to IELTS testing. Visit the IELTS website to find out if the changes will affect you.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 1 character of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list