- International Students in Australia
- International Students in Australia overview
- Learn about Living & Studying in Australia
- International Student Services & Advice
- Our IDP Education Students
- Search for courses in Australia
- International Student Events
- Promotions overview
- What are your Next Steps?
- A Professional Year Program
- Study with Torrens University
- Now open Saturdays
- Refer a Friend
- Go higher with a TAFE NSW Bachelor Degree
- Happy Lunar New Year
- Enrol early to win
- TAFE Sydney Institute
- Take your career to the next level with TAFE WSI
- Welcome Day March 2017
- IELTS Testing
- IELTS Testing overview
- Book a Test
- IELTS Test
- IELTS Practice Test
- What you should know about IELTS
- IELTS stories
- IELTS Tips
- Going to the UK?
- IELTS FAQs
- About us
- Contact us
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is the world’s most popular high-stakes English language proficiency test for study, work and migration with more than two million tests taken in the past year.
IELTS results are recognised by more than 9,000 organisations, including educational institutions, employers, professional associations and governments, in 135 countries around the world.
The Test is managed by three reputable, international organisations: British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment.
IELTS test content is developed by an international team of experts and undergoes extensive research to ensure the test remains fair and unbiased for any candidate regardless of nationality, background, gender, lifestyle or location.
The IELTS test has two versions: Academic and General Training and both of these are made up of four parts – Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.
The IELTS Test is not a pass/fail exam, rather candidates are graded on a 9-band scale, covering a full range of ability from non-user to expert (9). The scale is applied to proficiency in each of the four test parts and a general ‘band-width’ is also calculated.
Support for candidates is an important concern and IELTS provides a number of resources, tips and guidelines to help candidates prepare, including test samples and the Official IELTS Practice Materials. Click here for more information on IELTS preparation.