Western Australia: Graduate Stream for State nomination requirements updated
The updated stream will be extended to include vocational education and training (VET) graduates
22 October 2019
From December 2019, the Graduate Stream for State nomination will be extended to include vocational education and training (VET) graduates who complete a qualification in Western Australia at Certificate III level or above.
The first invitation round to include VET graduates will be issued in December 2019.
Other changes to the graduate stream are:
Study in WA
At least 2 years study in WA at a WA university
At least 2 years study in WA at one or more WA education providers studying ELICOS, VET at a registered training organisation or Higher Education providers
12 months Australian work experience in nominated or closely related occupation
12 month contract of employment in nominated or closely related occupation
6 months Australian work experience in the applicants nominated occupation on the Graduate Occupation List
6 month contract or employment in the applicants nominated occupation on the Graduate Occupation List
A new Graduate Occupation List and these updated requirements for the Graduate Stream will be announced prior to the December invitation round. Watch this space.
Current requirements for the general and graduate stream are listed below:
If you have a nominated occupation listed in the Western Australian skilled migration occupation list (WASMOL) or Graduate occupation list (GOL), you may be eligible for Western Australian State nomination using one of the following visa subclasses:
- Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190); or
- Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489)
The Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) will be updated to the new Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491) from 16 November 2019. Further information regarding this change is now available on the New Regional Visas page.
The WASMOL is available to applicants who intend to use the general stream.
The GOL is available for applicants who intend to use the graduate stream.
Each occupation on the list may have the following status:
- Available: occupation is available for nomination
- Restricted: occupation is under review and invitations to apply for State
- nomination will be limited pending the outcome of the review
- Closed: occupation is closed for invitations
It's important you check the status of your occupation on the Migration WA website. All occupations are "Available" now but things may change without notice.
What you need to know:
- Masters and PhD graduates can access all of the occupations on the GOL
- Bachelor and higher degree graduates can access some of the occupations on the GOL
- Graduates will be required to have studied for at least 2 years in a Western Australian university
- Graduates can also claim and give evidence of work experience with at least one year of Australian work experience in the nominated occupation over the last 10 years or 3 years if you have overseas work experience in the nominated occupation over the last 10 years.
- Work experience requirement is waived for Masters and PhD graduates.
- Graduates must meet English language requirements
Get the full details about eligibility requirements on the Migration WA website.
Contact us today if you have any questions and need assistance with the visa application process.
Source: Department of Training and Workforce Development