If you are looking to pursue studies, planning to work or intend migrating to an English-speaking country, you should know more about IELTS.
IELTS is an acronym for the International English Language Testing System. The IELTS English test measures your proficiency in the English language when you are put into a situation where you need to communicate in English and not your native language. It is primarily designed for non-native speakers of English.
The scores from the exam can open up a sea of opportunities when it comes to academics and work. It is one of the most popular English language exams in the world and is accepted by more than 10,000 organisations across the world.
Purpose of IELTS
As stated earlier, IELTS is important for anyone who wants to study, work or migrate to an English-speaking country.
IELTS for Study: If you want to do your undergraduate or postgraduate studies in the UK, the US, Australia, or any other English-speaking country, you will invariably have to demonstrate proficiency in English. In other words, you should be able to communicate in English in situations that you will come across while studying in the university. Universities in these countries accept IELTS test scores as proof of your ability to communicate fluently in English. Many mandates that you present these scores for admission and visa. Universities may have a cut-off score to grant admission.
IELTS for Work: In case you have got a job opportunity in an English-speaking country, you would have to provide proof of language proficiency to get your visa. It goes without saying that you will have to demonstrate your ability to speak more than basic English, and that is where IELTS for work comes into play. Every country has its own acceptable IELTS score. For instance, if you want to work in the UK, you need a minimum score of 6.5 in different components of the IELTS test whereas New Zealand approves work permits for foreign applicants if they have a minimum score of 4. Also, the score varies based on the occupation.
IELTS for Immigration: In case you want citizenship or permanent residency in one of the English-speaking countries, the governments of those countries want to be assured that you will be able to live and function optimally in the country. Proficiency in the English language demonstrates your ability to integrate seamlessly with the local community you live and work in. Immigration authorities control the immigration process by using language assessment as a way to weed out non-English speakers
Types of IELTS
When it comes to work, study or training, there are two versions of IELTS English exam. These are IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training. Depending on your purpose for going to the country, you will have to select one version to answer.
- IELTS Academic: This IELTS English test is aimed at anyone who wants to study in a full-time programme in a university or an institution of higher education where the language of instruction will be English. This test is also required by professionals who want to register with a professional body or organisation in an English-speaking country.
- IELTS General Training: When you want to migrate or work in English-speaking countries, like the US, Australia, Canada and New Zealand, you need to successfully appear for IELTS General Training to show your competency in the English language.
IELTS for UKVI
While most countries accept IELTS General Training for immigration and permanent residency, the UK requires those wishing to immigrate or get UK citizenship to appear for IELTS Life Skills test, also known as IELTS for UKVI.
The IELTS for UKVI tests your English language speaking and listening abilities at A1 or B1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). The A1 level is for families, spouses, and partners who want UK visas while the B1 level is for permanent residency and citizenship.
Why IELTS with IDP?
Now that you know what IELTS test is, it is time to consider where you can prepare adequately for the test.
When you take IELTS with IDP Education Bangladesh, you enjoy the following:
- Professional and friendly staff
- Test centres in different parts of Bangladesh to ensure you enjoy high standards in all our centres
- Tips from experts to thoroughly prepare for each IELTS paper
- The best study courses and resources to give you confidence
- Ability to check your IELTS scores online after 13 days of answering the exam
- Manual and online booking of the test date
- You can make payment for IELTS English exam in local currency using different payment options
We have a team of dedicated counsellors who will guide you and ensure you get access to our excellent resources and IELTS practice tests. Call us today to speak to our counsellors today to find out what is IELTS exam and to get IELTS test information!