Chattogram : 09612 333111 | Dhanmondi : 09612 333888 | Gulshan : 09666 782782 | IELTS : 01970 066933 | COVID-19 updates!
Student visa requirements for Ireland
Need help with applying to a student visa? Here’s help
The Irish Government provides an opportunity to all Bangladeshi students to study in the country but as a prerequisite, you’ll have to obtain a student visa first. The visa you’d need will depend on your age and the type of study you wish to pursue in Ireland. Here’s an overview of the types of study visas and their application requirements:
Duration of study
Less than three months
C Study visa
More than three months
D Study visa
*For detailed information, please visit the Irish Government’s Naturalisation and Immigration Service website.
Documents required for an Irish study visa
To apply for your study visa, you will generally need:
- A current passport or other valid travel documentation
- Letter of acceptance from a recognised Irish institution
- As a mandatory condition, your passport needs to be valid for 12 months i.e., after your proposed date of arrival in Ireland
- Passport-sized colour photographs
- The score of an English language proficiency test such as IELTS
- Proof of fee payment (this can either be a valid receipt showing course fees has been lodged to an approved student fee payment service or of the copy of Electronic Transfer of Funds by the applicant to the Irish bank of the university or college
- Evidence of funds (€7,000) to provide your living expenses for the duration of your course
- Evidence that accounts for any gaps in your educational history (if any)
- Medical insurance details
- You might also be asked to provide with your biometric information as part of the application process
- A statement of your commitment that you’ll leave Ireland on the expiry of your visa
- For 'C' visa you need application summary sheets and proof of your return home as attested documents
- Evidence of academic ability to pursue your chosen course
You may also have to appear for a personal interview at the Ireland embassy or consulate.
If any of your document is not in English/Irish, then it must include a full translation. Also, each of the translated document must consist of:
- A translator confirmation as evidence of accurate translation of the original document submitted;
- The translation date;
- The full name and signature of the translator; and
- The contact details of your translator
*Please note that these are the basic requirements, speak with your IDP counsellor for a detailed list of documents required for visa processing
When can you apply?
You can apply for a study visa up to three months before your travel date to Ireland. But, if you plan to visit another state before you travel to Ireland, then you must possess a relevant visa for that state in your passport before you apply for an Irish visa.
Applying for your visa online
You can apply for your student visa application online using the Irish Government’s official website. You can apply up to three months before your intended date of travel to Ireland. Remember, your application date is the date when your application fee is paid.
How can IDP help in your visa application?
If you’re an IDP student with an offer letter from any of our partner institutions in Ireland, we can advise you on how to go about the entire process. We’ll make sure you are fully informed on the latest visa requirements and conditions; also help you prepare the right documents for your submission.
Our team of experts will direct you to the official websites and to authorised immigration representatives to ensure you have the latest applications forms and guidance. To reduce the hassle, we can also help to certify, translate and courier your documents.
As an applicant from outside Ireland, you will have to pay €60 as your visa fee (do check the latest fee when applying here).
English language requirements
To gain your study visa for Ireland, you’ll have to provide evidence of proficiency in the English language. This usually means passing a secure English language test to be able to prove your communication and correspondence skills.
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is the world’s most popular high-stakes English language proficiency test for study, work and migration, with more than three million tests taken in the past year. The IELTS results are recognised by more than 10,000 organisations, including educational institutions, employers, professional associations and governments, in 140 countries around the world.
A minimum score of 5.0 band is required in IELTS to apply for an Irish study visa.
Note: Since Ireland does not have an embassy in Bangladesh, interested students can contact the Irish Embassy, Consulate General or Honorary Consulate in India. Know more.
Note: Given the current COVID-19 situation, there might be some changes in the 2020/21 intakes. Don’t worry, our international education experts are here to guide you with the latest updates to help you apply to your desired course and institution. Feel free to connect with our experts for a free counselling session and keep posted about the latest COVID- 19 updates.
Updated on July 6, 2020