Study Master of Science in the US
Here’s everything you need to know about MS in the US
The Master in Science (MS) is the perfect two-year graduate study program if you have a relevant bachelor's degree in science and aspire to delve deep into the subject. The degree is a technically oriented program and is focused on developing analytical and problem-solving skills through lab work and research. You can earn MS in various science disciplines such as chemistry, biology, engineering, health sciences, statistics, data sciences and many more. You can also pursue an entirely course-based or research-based programme or a mixture of both.
Why study MS in the US
- Wider choice of specialisations: US universities offer MS degrees in n major fields which are further divided into 781 specialisations
- Experiential learning: The course structure provides ample industry experience in form of internships and projects that allows students to apply their theoretical knowledge into real-world scenarios
- Flexible eligibility criteria during the pandemic: During the COVID-19 situation, numerous universities offering MS in the USA have either waived off or lessened the minimum score requirements for competitive tests to encourage students apply for the programme
- Home to top universities: As per THE rankings 2021, US universities are well-recognised in the entire subject ranking for education with 133 universities in the top 200
- Renowned faculties: MS programs in the US are recognised worldwide for having employed renowned faculties and resources in the world
Popular MS specialisations in the US
MS or Master in the US primarily includes STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics programs. The international student population planning for an MS in the US popularly opts for courses like Engineering, Business, Science, Computer Sciences, and IT.
Duration of MS courses in the US
The duration of an MS study program in US universities typically ranges between 1.5 - 2 years. However, some Master’s programs in subjects like Computer Sciences and Engineering might take up to 3 - 5 years to complete. If a student opts for Medicine, these degrees are designed for up to 6 years, depending on the specialisation chosen.
Cost of MS degree in the US
In the US, the tuition fee for an MS degree is based on the credit hour of the course and the type of university (i.e., public or a private university). Do remember that the minimum credit hours of an MS program is 30 hours. The average cost of a master's degree in the US is between $30,000 and $120,000. However, it might vary from institution to institution and on the specialisation opted.
You wouldn't require a specific Bachelor of Science degree to apply for an MS program in the US. However, it is mandatory to complete an undergraduate degree in the relevant subject (concerning the MS field you have chosen).
To study an MS degree in the US you must fulfil these primary requirements:
- 3 to 4 years of a bachelor’s degree in the relevant field with an average GPA of 3.0 or 65 – 70% and above
- Proof of your English-language Proficiency test such as IELTS
- GRE score that is 290 or above
- Statement of Purpose
- Two to three letters of recommendation
Additional aspects that add weight to your application:
- Research/internships projects
- Any published research papers
- Proof of any social or leadership activities
As per Statista (that specialises in market and consumer data), the projected starting salaries for master’s degree graduates in the US in 2020 were:
Mathematics and Sciences
*Indicative; source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/635512/average-salary-of-graduates-in-the-us-by-discipline/
Each year, many students enrol in MS programs all over the world to advance their career with the US as their first choice. If you have been also thinking on the same lines, this is the right time. If you need any help at all to find the right course or US institution for you, we are always here to guide you through the entire process.
Given the current COVID-19 situation, there might be some changes in the 2021 intakes. Don’t worry, our international education experts are here to guide you with the latest updates to help you apply to your desired course and institution. Feel free to connect with our experts for a free counselling session and keep posted about the latest COVID- 19 updates.
Updated on March 16, 2021
Read NextTop Universities in USA For MS