USA University Intake 2020
Ready to chase your study dreams in the USA? Here’s how early you should prepare for it.
The USA continues to be one of the most popular international student destinations in the world, home to an exciting mix of world class universities, natural sights and sounds as well as buzzing cityscapes.
Such is the importance being placed on diversity, university classes often comprise students of different ages, religions and nationalities. Such a rich learning environment is not only stimulating, it also encourages cross-cultural understanding and networking.
While our education counsellors can help narrow down the universities that are ideal for you and guide you through the application process, it is always handy to find out what’s required and what to expect.
We’ve also created a university application timeline which depicts how early you can apply as well as the documents and actions required.
For USA, the main intake periods are:
Fall Intake (August): August to December
Spring Intake (February): January to April
Summer Intake (May): May to August
Usually, students choose an intake based on a range of factors such as preferred choice of study, the availability of a program in a particular university and academic records.
There are also application deadlines for each intake (below), and these can vary for certain institutions and programs with a different intake from the main ones. It would be best to speak with one of our counsellors to get tailored advice and up-to-date information.
Explore study abroad options
Make an appointment with a counsellor (6 months to 2 years to course commencement)
- Bring along any questions you wish to ask - such as cost of living, which is the most ideal university, etc
Book an IELTS test if required (Within 2 years to course commencement)
- Take IELTS Academic
- *English waiver for schools - please check with counsellor
Prepare necessary paperwork
- Transcripts and certificate, varies according to institution
- Explanation of gap period after studies: Statement of activities in form of CV/resume, enlistment letter, etc
- Additional: Statement of purpose, supplementary forms, portfolio, etc
Apply to universities
- Check with counsellor for application fee waiver
- Application deadline: If there is one, make sure that you submit to us at least 1 to 2 weeks in advance.
- Entry to schools: Courses are either by GPA only or competitive placing
- Postgraduates will receive offer in 4 to 8 weeks after application
- Undergraduates will receive offer in 2 to 8 weeks after application
**Note: Some schools only start assessing the semester that you are going in (e.g. Fall 2020 intake will only be assess in January 2020
Accept offer (2 to 5 months before commencement)
- Concurrent application for accommodation
- Guardianship services (if required)
**Note: This does not apply for limited space programme – closes as soon as spaces are filled
Receive Form I-20
- 5 to 14 days upon acceptance
Apply for visa
- Your counsellor would have gone through the acceptance checklist which will cover on the process and items needed for your student visa
- 2 to 3 months before course commencement
*Visa approval decision is generally made at the end of the interview with a consulate officer.
- 1 month before course commencement
Arrive in destination
Keen to embark on an exciting study abroad adventure? Simply fill in your details and chat with our counsellors for free!