Lakehead University opens new Centre for Advanced Studies in Engineering and Sciences
Lakehead’s new state-of-the-art CASES building (Centre for Advanced Studies in Engineering and Sciences) opened in November 2018. Four of Lakehead’s newest Canada Research Chairs, three research support units, the Faculty of Graduate Studies and more than seven leading research programs and laboratories are located in the 42,000-square-foot building, which is LEED Gold certified for environmental sustainability.
Both undergraduate and graduate students may have the opportunity to work for researchers based in CASES and greatly enhance their degrees. The building’s new business incubator space known as INGENUITY will allow students and community members to work on creating their own start-ups, and receive mentoring and support along the way.
The CASES building is home to:
- The Centre of Excellence for Sustainable Mining and Exploration
- The Aboriginal Mentorship Program
- The Biomass Utilization Laboratory
- The Prototype Development Facility
- The Nano-Materials and Advanced Technologies Innovation Center
- The Laboratory for Integrated Freshwater Science
- The Community Ecology Energetics Laboratory
- The Human Origins Laboratory
- The Office of Sustainability
- INGENUITY – a business incubator space