Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation


Was Canada's attractive pathway to permanent residency a consideration in your choice to study here?

Lots of international students choose Canada because of its generous post-graduation work permit (PGWP) policy. Skilled Canadian work experience in the National Occupational Code A, O or B that is gained through PGWPP helps international students qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian experience class within Express Entry.


  • the length of your Canadian PGWP is dependent on the length of your studies. The longer your academic program, the longer you are eligible to work in Canada. The maximum length of PGWP that can be awarded is three years.
  • you can only get the PGWP ONCE in your lifetime so consider this carefully when making a decision on when to avail it.

A longer PGWP earns you the Canadian work experience you require to succeed in an Express Entry Competition for Canadian Permanent Residency.

To qualify for a longer PGWP, you should plan to study 2+ years in Canada. You must also be enrolled at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in a program that is eligible for PGWP.

How do I know if my program is eligible for PGWP?


So when should I apply for my PGWP?

If you've completed an 8-month or 1-year program from a Canadian institution, you have 180 days after you get your final marks to apply for a PGWP. Within the 180 days from the date you apply for your PGWP, you must  hold or have held a valid Study Permit. If your Study Permit expired prior to you receiving proof of completion of  studies, you will not have the full 180 days from proof of completion of  your studies to apply  for  your PGWP.

What do I do if my Study Permit is expiring within the 180 days?

An international student who graduates from a Designated Learning Institution (provided their program is eligible for PGWP) can receive only ONE post-graduation work permit in their lifetime.

If you don't already have a job in hand, it is recommended that you first assess the economic situation and job market to get a sense of how effectively you can to utilize your 1-year PGWP.

If the probability of securing employment in National Occupational Code A, O or B categories seems low, consider delaying your plans to work in Canada by opting to continue your studies.

Qualify for a 3-year work permit by continuing your education in Canada. An IDP counsellor can help you get into the college of your choice fast and stress-free. Take the first step and book a virtual appointment by completing the inquiry form on this page.

What will an IDP counsellor do for me?

  • Find the best college program based on your career interest and budget
  • Manage your entire application process from start to finish
  • Guide you through the visa change/extension process following the acceptance of your admission offer

IDP does not charge students for its services.


Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 1 character of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list

Please select a level of study

Got any ideal countries in mind?