The Added Benefits Gained by Preparing to Take the IELTS Exam
Most people are aware that passing their IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam, is a great way to establish your proficiency of the English language for academic or employment purposes. However, what many people don't realize is their IELTS test scores are also used for immigration purposes by government agencies, for registration purposes.
You should know the score you'll need to achieve in order to fulfill your employment or academic requirements. Most people take the time to use test preparation tools, which are available through us, here at IDP Canada, to help study for upcoming exams.
However, people tend to overlook some of the added benefits they gain by spending more time preparing for the IELTS exam to attempt to achieve an even higher score than they actually need.
Some of the more common benefits include:
- Your knowledge of the English language is better. When prepping for your exam, you become more familiar with the level of English required for academic and employment purposes.
- Your English language skills are assessed objectively. Maybe your co-workers, friends or family have told you that you speak and write English rather well. This type of feedback tends to be more subjective, so you truly don't have a good idea of your actual abilities. Preparing for the exam and taking it, provides you with an objective assessment of your English language skills.
- All of your English language skills are improved. Many people tend to fair better in certain areas of the English language over other areas. However, the IELTS exam tests all four: Reading, Speaking, Writing, and Listening. In order to pass the exam, you have to practice in all four areas, and through your preparations, become improved.
- The IELTS exam helps you set clear goals and motivates you to study harder. When you lack clear objectives and goals, it's easy to not study as hard, or wait until the very last minute. With the IELTS exam, the goals are clearly defined so it helps motivate you to study daily, which also improves your English skills.
- Passing the IELTS exam results in a certification recognized worldwide. Numerous government agencies, universities, employers, and other institutions accept IELTS exam results and recognize the importance of the certification you receive for passing.
To help you prepare for your IELTS exam, IDP Canada offers several different tools and study aids. Some of these do require paying a registration fee, like the IELTS Writing Assist and IELTS Reading Assist, while others are provided for free. Our blog articles are also a great resource you can use, they contain a wealth of information.
We invite you to explore our website further and encourage you to use our “Find an IELTS Test Location” feature to locate the nearest IELTS Test Centre