text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Employment while you study

Earn while you learn

An international education can be a strain on a student’s budget. In New Zealand, most students enrolled in a course of 12 months' duration or longer can work part-time for up to 20 hours a week during semester and during holiday periods.

This not only helps top up the bank balance, but also provides an excellent opportunity to integrate in the community and meet new people.

Working after you graduate

If you want to stay and work in New Zealand after you finish your course, you’ll need to apply for a new visa first.

There are two types of visas :

  • The post-study work visa (open): you have up to 12 months to find a job in your relevant field of study.
  • The post-study work visa (employer assisted): this option lets you work in a specific job, which must be relevant to your studies, for an additional two years.

If you wish to stay and work in New Zealand permanently and you meet the relevant criteria, you can apply for a Skilled Migrant Visa. To find out more information, visit the Immigration New Zealand website.

It’s important to remember that there may be plenty of competition for jobs after you graduate, from both international and domestic students. Studying in an area of skill shortage may increase your chances of getting a job. This means that if you have the skills that are in short supply and you are offered a job in New Zealand, getting a work and residence visa will be easier.

Skills shortages exist in professions like Agriculture and Forestry, Engineering, Health and Social Services and Science. Have a look at skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz for an up-to-date list.



I have an education gap of 3 years and was ideal at home without work.Will it be okay for my admission?
by rinwith
Australia accepts upto 2 years justified gap however depending on the university discretion.
what is the living cost ?
by samantha
The average living cost is AUD 21,041 which is close to INR 10,94,132‬ per year.
Maximum scholarship provided by the university
by Sajeet
Most of the universities provide scholarship which ranges from 10% to 50% of the tuition fees mostly based on academic grades. There are universities which provide 100℅ scholarship.However it will be very limited in number and competitive.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list