text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Money and living expenses in New Zealand

Make the most of your money

As part of your student visa application, you must provide evidence that you can cover your living expenses while studying in New Zealand. If you will be studying in New Zealand for more than one year, you‘ll need to prove that you have at least NZ$15,000 to support yourself for the first year. 

Knowing how much you will need for your day-to-day living expenses is a great starting point, but it is important to note the cost of living will vary slightly depending on what city in New Zealand you live in. 

New Zealand’s unit of currency for your banking and payments options is the New Zealand (NZ$) dollar.

New Zealand also has a Goods and Services tax (GST) of 15 per cent which is added to the price of most things you purchase.

Tuition fees

Bachelor's degree fees range from about NZ$22,000 to NZ$32,000, with higher fees for subjects such as medicine and veterinary science. Many bachelor’s degrees can be completed in three years.

Postgraduate degree fees range from about NZ$26,000 to NZ$37,000, with higher fees for subjects such as medicine and veterinary science.

International PhD students pay the same as New Zealand PhD students, which is about NZ$6,500 to NZ$9,000 per year for most subjects.


The cost of rent will vary according to which part of New Zealand you live in.  You can expect to pay between NZ$200 to NZ$350 per week for rent.  


When it comes to managing your money, there are a number of choices. You may decide to set up a bank account with any of the national banks or credit unions available, which you can do before or after you arrive in New Zealand. When setting up your account, you will need your Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE), Letter of Offer and other forms of identification. You may also need a New Zealand Inland Revenue Department (IRD) number, which you can apply for by visiting the Inland Revenue website. Many banks offer ‘student accounts’ which can provide benefits such as free banking, interest-free overdrafts and travel discounts.

Setting up your phone and Internet

You’ll probably want to get your phone and Internet sorted pretty quickly after arriving in New Zealand. While there are a number of different network providers for your phone, there are three basic options that you will need to consider:

Landline: usually only relevant to those who live off campus in rented accommodation. You might be able to get a better deal by bundling your landline with Internet access

Mobile – prepaid: allows you to control how much you spend and are widely available in local shops and supermarkets, as well as via mobile phone providers. Through the prepaid option, you are also able to cancel the service at any time

Mobile – contract: depending on how long you will be in New Zealand and how often you use your phone, you can also choose from a variety of monthly plans

Similar to mobile providers, there are many Internet service providers in New Zealand and the plans they offer vary depending on download limits and where you live. You may want to shop around first to find the right plan that meets your requirements.

Most educational institutions provide free Wi-Fi access which you can connect to using your student login and password. If you can’t access the Internet through your own laptop or computer, you can usually find a service to use in the student library, or at an off-campus public library or Internet café. Some public places may offer free or cheap Wi-Fi, however, it is important to check the security of the network you are connecting to. Making international calls can be a lot more expensive than domestic calls.

To make an international call, you can purchase an international calling card from most convenience stores. Alternatively, for a cheaper option you can use online options such as Skype or FaceTime. To call a New Zealand number from overseas, you need to enter the country code (64) followed by the area code and then the telephone number. To call another country from New Zealand, enter 00 followed by the relevant country code and the area code (if required) and then the telephone number.


What is the best university to study at in Australia?
by dinkaran
There are over 38 universities in Australia, and the best choice depends on your course and preferences.
What are some top universities for construction management?
by Nikhil
Top options include University of Adelaide, Deakin University, Swinburne University and the University of Melbourne.
I have student visa rejections from Canada. Can I apply for Masters in IT for Australia?
by nathan
Yes, you can apply but we will need to know the reason for the refusal. We advise you to contact an IDP counselor.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list

Please select a level of study

Got any ideal countries in mind?