Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Popular Subjects | HKDSE


3.7.2 Popular Subjects Architecture.jpg

Students who wish to become architects follow the three-year programme leading to the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Architectural Studies, B.A. (Arch. Studies), and subsequently continue in a further two-year programme leading to the second degree of Master of Architecture, M. Arch. Both UK and Australian universities are offering courses leading to be an architect. After completion of their University studies, all graduates are required to undertake a minimum of two years supervised work in an architect’s office and then sit for the Examinations conducted by the Hong Kong Institute of Architects.

Commerce and Business Administration

3.7.2 Popular Subjects Business.jpg

Commerce and Business Administration students in Hong Kong have been the most popular subjects. Students can review the overall rankings of the universities together with the subject rankings before submitting the applications. (e.g. reference from Times World University Rankings). A number of overseas universities were awarded with “Triple Crown”, that is AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS certification. Graduates are eligible to apply for most frontline positions in financial institutions and banks in Hong Kong.


3.7.2 Popular Subjects Engineering.jpg

The engineering-related courses are one of the most popular choices among students with science background, in which studying in Civil Engineering is the most popular option recently. Most engineering courses in the UK and Australia are last for four years. Like other specialist courses, students are required to complete 2 years practicum upon completion of the course. The student can then register as an engineer in overseas countries and Hong Kong.

Health Care

3.7.2 Popular Subjects Health.jpg

Health care related industry can be regarded as a more stable industry under the era of economic turmoil. In the UK, most of the Health Sciences programmes (such as nursing, dietetics, occupational therapy, physical therapy, medical and dental, etc), no longer allow non EU students to stay in the UK for internship. Thus, studying in Australia for health science-related courses is a more popular choice among Hong Kong students. Most nursing, nutrition, occupational therapy undergraduate programmes usually require three to four years (Medicine normally takes five to six years and a half, pharmacy normally takes five years). Upon completion of internships and professional licensing examination, students can obtain formal qualifications in Hong Kong.


3.7.2 Popular Subjects Law.jpg

Bachelor of Law (or LLB) in the UK normally last for 3 to 4 years, while normally requires 6 years in Australia. All graduates have to complete the Postgraduate Certificate in Laws (PCLL) programme in HK. It is an intensive one-year full-time (or two-year part-time) professional legal qualification programme, it allows graduates to proceed to legal training before qualifying to practice as either a barrister or a solicitor in Hong Kong. After successfully completing the PCLL. Prospective solicitors go on to complete a two year training contract as a trainee solicitor to qualify. Prospective barristers, undertake six months of pupillage under a pupilmaster before being called to the Bar (admitted as a barrister) of Hong Kong, gaining limited rights of audience (limited practice). After six more months of pupillage, he or she can commence full practice.


3.7.2 Popular Subjects Psychology.jpg

The so-called "psychologist" is officially named as "clinical psychologist". The job of a clinical psychologist is generally provides psychological assessment and therapeutic interventions for clients of all ages, consultation service to the public on mental health issues. In Australia, students can attain the professional qualification via a BA or BSc in Social Science with major in psychology specialist plus one year of Honour Year (Total 4 years), and follow by a two-year Master course of psychology. The second option is via a four-year Bachelor of Psychology plus two-year Master of Psychology course. In the UK, it also requires about 7 years to be a clinical psychologist, basically via a bachelor degree, master’s degree and practicum.

Overseas Universities Entry Requirement

Entry requirement of overseas universities for HKDSE students

Student Sharing

Would you like to share your experience of studying abroad? Have you found our services helpful?

AD / HD Zone

A number of universities in Australia and the UK allow credit transfer or course exemptions from tertiary institutions in Hong Kong.

Australian High Schools

Introduction of Primary and Secondary School System in Australia

Start your study abroad journey

See the world, experience a new culture, dive into a world-class education – and prepare for your global future.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 1 character of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list

Please select a level of study

Got any ideal countries in mind?