Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

IELTS for Study in Hong Kong or Abroad

Planning to continue your study in Hong Kong after finishing your HKDSE? Or are you planning to study overseas, or join in overseas exchange programs? IELTS is accepted by universities and institutions around the world, as you apply for different courses and programs, you would need to submit your IELTS results as a proof of your English abilities.

>>>Which IELTS test should I take?

IELTS Registration and Important Notes

IELTS Registration process is very simple. To register for an IELTS test, you could either apply in person at the IDP Education Hong Kong Wan Chai Office, or more conveniently, simply register online. IELTS test fee is HKD $2,300. Registration and payment must be completed within 24 hours, and your admission document, dates and time of both your written and speaking tests will be sent to you 7 days prior to the test. You must arrive early on the test day to register and store your personal belongings. Please bring along your ID and admission document for verification, and have your fingerprint scanned before entering the test venue.

(Caution: Customer services, like registration, change test date, collect IELTS result,  will ONLY be available at IDP Education Wan Chai Office. Locations other than this, are where IELTS exam take place) 

IELTS reflects the ability to communicate in English and assess a wide range of skills. Therefore, it is important to develop your test taking strategies. Candidates should make full use of the official test preparation resources, such as the free IDP IELTS expert seminar, online mock tests, online practices and so on. As long as you have a clear understanding of the content, format and scoring criteria of the test and leverage our preparation resources, it would be easy to score well!

Studying in Hong Kong with IELTS

IELTS results – equivalent to DSE English results?

Hong Kong students who wish to continue their study in Hong Kong would have to attend HKDSE and apply for universities in Hong Kong through the JUPAS system. Hong Kong Baptist University accepts IELTS (6.0 or above) as a fulfilment of its English entry requirement8. Students can take the IELTS test in advance and use IELTS scores instead of DSE English scores to apply for courses in Hong Kong Baptist University.

DSE students can also use IELTS to predict their DSE English scores. The Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority has compared the scores and levels of IELTS and HKDSE English exam, students can refer to the relevant comparisons and get their predicted English results.
>>>Understanding IELTS Scoring System

Non-JUPAS entry requirement

While applying to universities in Hong Kong through Non-JUPAS, students are to fulfil respective IELTS requirement set by universities respectively.

Study abroad with IELTS

Applying to overseas universities with IELTS

Hong Kong students who wish to study in an English-speaking country would need to meet the universities’ English requirement by submitting English test results that’s recognized internationally. IELTS is the world’s most popular high stakes English-language test for study, work and migration, and is recognized by thousands of universities and colleges worldwide.
>>>What IELTS results do I need to study abroad?

IDP is the world’s largest overseas education institution that offers services to support people wishing to study abroad. We represent more than 700 institutions colleges from the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, the United States, Canada and Ireland, and assist student with application and provide professional study abroad advices.

Want to know more? Leave us with your contact information, or contact us directly.

Apply for Overseas Exchange Programs with IELTS

Every year, universities in Hong Kong provide different overseas exchange programs to encourage students go and study in other countries to broaden their horizons and learn more about different cultures around the world. Students who wish to apply to the exchange programs are often required to take the IELTS English test to prove their English abilities.
>>>Learn More

Which IELTS test should I take?

IELTS offers IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training. The IELTS test you take – and the score you need – will depend on both the requirements of your visa, the organisation and where you plan to study. If you are planning to study in the UK, you may need to take IELTS for UKVI to meet relevant visa requirements.
>>>Prepare for your IELTS test

Register Now

IELTS on paper registration

IELTS on Paper
View test date /Register now

IELTS on Computers registration

IELTS on Computer
View test date / Register now

IELTS UKVI test dates

View test date / Register now

IELTS Examination Venue

IDP Education IELTS tests are generally held in hotels, schools and conference centers. The venues are mostly located on Hong Kong Island (including: Central, Wanchai, Causeway Bay, etc.) and Kowloon (including: Mong Kok, Tsim Sha Tsui, Yau Ma Tei, etc.) and Shatin. Below are some commonly used testing venue locations.

Disclaimer: It is the responsibility of the test taker to register for the right type of test (IELTS, IELTS UKVI, Life Skills A1 or Life Skills B1). The test centre cannot be held responsible for an incorrect selection.

Please Note

We have noticed some online advertisements on several social media sites claim to provide services for IELTS test takers, such as registering for IELTS, collection of results and making arrangements for a re-mark of the test. We advise all potential IELTS test takers to avoid using such services that are not directly affiliated to IELTS.
Once you’ve submitted your IELTS application, it’s time to start preparing. Learn tips, get sample tests, past papers, and more from IDP. We even offer 30 days of free online practice to get you better prepared for your examination.
If you have any questions, require special arrangements, or anything else, please speak to your test centre team. They will be more than happy to assist you in any way regarding the IELTS registration and application, as well as information about the test day.

Please read "Notice to Test Takers: Special precautionary measures on Test Day"

* According to the Hong Kong Baptist University website

Register for IELTS now
IELTS Special Offer
IELTS_Double_USB_600 (Apr 22) 202204_CTA_330x216-01.png
IELTS Information Seminar
Steps to study abroad
More about IELTS

IELTS test format

IELTS is a test of all four language skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking. You will take the Listening, Reading and Writing tests all on the same day one after the other, with no breaks in between. Depending on your test centre, your Speaking test may be on the same day as the other three tests or up to seven days before or after that. The total test time is under three hours.

IELTS for Study in local or overseas

IDP Education can help you gain admission to education institutions. We help you find the best course of study for your needs, submit your university application, guide you through the visa requirements, register for your IELTS test and help you prepare for life in your new country.

IELTS for work and migration

IELTS is accepted as a proof of English language proficiency for study, work and migration in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the US where English is the main language used in the workplace or the classroom. Each country has its own IELTS scores requirements.

Why take IELTS with IDP Education?

We pride ourselves on providing outstanding customer service to ensure our candidates have the best possible experience when taking their IELTS test.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 1 character of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list

Please select a level of study

Got any ideal countries in mind?