Australia Student Visa Requirement
Everything you need to know about Australian Visas
The visa you need depends on the type of studies you undertake, and how long you need to stay in Australia. Find out more about each type of visa on the Australian Government’sDepartment of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website.
You apply online
You will need to create an account using the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s (DIBP) online application system - ImmiAccount - to complete and submit your student visa application.
After which, you can then track the status of your visa application.
The information you need for your visa application will vary depending on your nationality and which course you’re studying. You will generally need:
- Proof of enrolment (your Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment)
- Your health insurance (Overseas Student Health Cover) policy details
- Your Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement
- Evidence of your
- English skills A valid passport
- Your visa application fee
If you are younger than 18, you will also need to provide additional documents such as parental consent.
You can find a full list of what’s needed for your visa application from your IDP counsellor or by using the Document checklist tool on the DIBP website
You must submit your completed application no later than six weeks before the start of your course, and not earlier than 12 weeks before the start.
Making sure your visa remains valid
Once you have your visa, there are a number of things you need to do to ensure it remains valid, including:
- Remain enrolled and maintain satisfactory course progress and attendance
- Provide your Australian address to your institution so they can contact you (don’t forget to let them know if you move)
- Continue to be able to financially support yourself while in Australia
- Don’t breach the working conditions that apply to your visa
If you want to change the level of qualification you’re studying will need to apply for a new student visa.