Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Employment Prospect in Australia

Want to work while you’re in Australia? Then here’s how.

Working part-time while you study in Australia can be a great way to help with the cost of living as well as gaining work experience in your chosen field of study. You might like to consider:

  • Paid work: opportunities include working in cafes, bars, restaurants and hotels, farming or fruit picking, or sales  and administration roles
  • Tutoring: if you have existing qualifications or professional work experience, you might be able to get casual or part-time work in your field
  • Internships: paid or unpaid internships are a great way to get experience of the professional, financial and creative industries
  • Volunteering: there are a great many charities and non-governmental organisations (NGOs) in Australia requiring volunteers to help out. This can be a great way to make friends, get some hands on work experience as well as give something back to the community

Most student visas allow you to work for up to 40 hours every two weeks during your course, and as many hours as you like during the course / semester breaks. You should always-check your visa before starting any paid work.

Remember: You will need a Tax File Number (TFN) to do any work in Australia. Please visit theAustralian Taxation Office website to find out more information on getting a TFN, as well as what tax you may need to pay.

Your rights at work
Everyone working in Australia, including international students, has basic rights at work.

These rights ensure you:

  • Are paid a minimum wage
  • Can challenge an employer if you are unfairly dismissed from a job
  • Receive appropriate breaks and rest periods
  • Enjoy a safe and healthy work environment

To find out more information about your work rights visit the Australian Government's Fair Work website. To find out more about work health and safety at work, visit the Safe Work Australia website.

Working while you study
To find work, you can:

  • Look for job ads in newspapers and online job sites like SEEK.
  • Check if your institution has any job notice-boards online or on campus
  • Register your interest with a recruitment firm

Working after you graduate

If you want to stay and work in Australia after you have finished your studies, you’ll need to apply for a new visa first.

If you have completed a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctoral degree, you may be eligible for the Post-Study Work stream of the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa.

Alternatively, your new employer may be able to sponsor you for a new visa. Speak with your work’s Human Resources or Recruitment team to find out if this possible.
If you don’t yet have an employer to sponsor you, and would like to stay in Australia longer-term to develop your professional career, you can submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect.

Australia Student Visa Requirement

The visa you need will depend on the type of study you want to do, and how long you want to stay in Australia. The information you need for your visa application will depend on your nationality and which course you’re studying.

People and Culture

Even if you haven’t been to Australia before, you’d probably recognise it on a map. It’s the world’s largest island - surrounded by the waters of the Indian and Pacific Oceans – but it’s also the world’s smallest continent.

Group of Eight Australia

The Group of Eight (Go8) is a coalition of leading Australian universities, delivering a comprehensive range of general and professional education.

Top Cities - Melbourne

With great live music and alleyways packed with bars and cafés, Melbourne is a...


As a pioneer in International education, we are truly global in scale and experience.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 1 character of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list