text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation
IDP IELTS: Register/ View testdate   |  Call us: 2179 3600 | WhatsApp: 5148 8870

New Zealand Student Visa Requirements

Everything you need to know about New Zealand visas

The visa you need will depend on the type of studies you have chosen to do, and how long you want to stay in New Zealand. Ensuring you have a valid passport and the right visa is key to trouble-free entry to the country.

Whilst studying in New Zealand, it’s very important for you to maintain your Fee Paying student status. Such status relates to the purpose, or reason why you came to New Zealand.

To apply for a visa, you must make sure have the following documentation:

  • A valid passport which is valid for at least three months after your period of stay in New Zealand

  • A letter of acceptance from a New Zealand education provider which states the minimum course duration, total tuition fees clearly stating the currency in either the domestic and foreign currency. The course must be approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority


In addition, you may also need such documentation as:

  • Academic preparation documents, for example: transcripts, diplomas, degrees or certificates

  • Current application form – Student Visa Application form

  • Correct visa application fee

  • Receipt for tuition fees showing payment dates

  • Evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover your living expenses throughout the whole period of your stay. You will need to show you have NZ$15,000 for a full year of study or NZ$1,250 per month.


Evidence of sufficient funds may include:

  • Bank statements

  • Financial undertaking by a sponsor to cover accommodation and living costs.

  • A scholarship programme

  • Evidence that you are leaving New Zealand after the completion of your course. This can be flight tickets.

  • A police certificate (this is used as evidence of good character) if you are aged 17 years or over and plan to study for more than 24 months.

  • An X-ray certificate - you will need to have a chest x-ray if you are staying in New Zealand for more than six months, or if you’re a citizen of a country with a relatively high incidence of tuberculosis, or if you’ve spent more than three months in the last five years in a country with a relatively high incidence of tuberculosis


    Full medical examination


You can find on the New Zealand Government’s Immigration website more information about each of the different types of visas and how to apply for them.

Please select qualification levels

Enter a subject and select from the list

  • Type 1 character of a subject name and select from the list

  • Enter a course subject and select from the list

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 1 character of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list