Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

UK Student Visa Requirement

More Upcoming Activities

25 March UK & Australia Postgraduate Seminar

Everything you need to know about UK Visas

The visa you need will depend on your age and the type of studies you would like to do. An overview of study visa types and application requirements is included here, but for more information you should visit the Gov.UK website.

To be eligible for a Student route visa, you must:

  • Have an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Student route sponsor

  • Be able to speak, read, write and understand English

  • Have sufficient money to support yourself and pay for your course.

Applying for your visa online

You must apply for your student visa application online using the British Government’s official Gov.UK website
You can apply up to three months before your intended date of travel to the UK. Your application date is the date when you pay your application fee.

When applying for your Student route visa, you will generally need:

  • A valid passport or other valid travel documentation

  • Evidence of sufficient funds to provide your living expenses for the duration of your course

  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number and documents used to obtain CAS

  • Passport-sized colour photograph

  • Tuberculosis screening (if required)

  • Assessment documentation

  • Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate (if required)

  • Additional documents may also be needed if you are:

  • Not a citizen of the country you are applying from

  • Under 18 years of age

  • Have family (dependents)

If any of your supporting documents are not in English, you will need to have them translated. Each translated document must be dated, and include the translator's name and signature as well as a statement confirming that the translation is an accurate translation of the original document.

English language requirements

You must provide evidence of your knowledge of the English language when you apply for your visa. This usually means passing a secure English language test.

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) have minimum English language requirements for reading, writing, listening and speaking according to your level of study. In addition, your education institution (sponsor) may have their own, possibly different, English language requirements.

There is a possibility you may be interviewed by a UKVI officer as part of the visa application process. If you cannot participate in a simple conversation without an interpreter, you may be refused entry to the UK, regardless of your English language results.

Biometric residence permit

As part of your application, you must also obtain a biometric residence permit (BRP) from UKVI. You will need to make an appointment with UKVI to have your fingers and thumbs scanned and a digital photo of your face taken.

CUG University Ranking

The UK is globally recognised for its teaching excellence. Let's find out why.

Employment Prospects in the UK

Working part-time while can be a great way to help with the cost of living in the UK and also gain work experience in your field of study.

UCAS Application 2023

Want to study in the UK? Need help to apply to the right courses through UCAS?

The Russell Group

The Russell Group comprises 24 of the UK’s leading higher education institutions offering excellence in teaching and research.

UK Featured Universities

UK Top 30 Universities - UK education has a reputation for excellence and most international students highly rate the quality of teaching they receive.

UK Foundation Programme

There are many pathway programmes into higher education for international students including foundation studies and English language preparation programmes.

UK Masters' Degree

A master's degree offers specialisation in a particular field of study. Master’s courses at UK universities are rapidly becoming one of the most popular options for students across the globe for their excellent course curriculum,

UK Advanced Entry / Top-up Degree

Many UK universities offer Advanced Entry and Top-up Degree courses for AD/ HD students to obtain a Bachelor's Degree with ease.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 1 character of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list

Please select a level of study

Got any ideal countries in mind?