English Proficiency Testing
George Brown College will now be accepting the following online English proficiency testing options, Duolingo English Test, TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition and IELTS Indicator
An updated placement table is now available on the English Language Proficiency & Validity page and the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) page of the website.
Placement and Admission testing in Toronto at the GBC Assessment Centre will be suspended until further notice. For more information, please visit the Assessment Centre webpage.
Language School Pathways
For September 2020 and January 2021 post-secondary intakes George Brown College will accept private language schools’ advanced online programs (taken inside or outside Canada), as equal to the in-person programs. This will only occur during the current Covid-19 period up until August 31st for now, or by the date GBC returns to offer in-person instruction.
- e-Conditional Letters of Acceptance for pending IELTS/TOEFL/other for ALL nationalities/countries in lockdown due to Covid-19, who have no access to IELTS/TOEFL/other test.
- Conditions must be met/submitted by July 13th 2020 for the August 2020 intake and by November 10th 2020 for January 2021. These deadlines may be adjusted as the situation evolves.
The offer expiry date should not be confused with the IELTS/TOEFL/Duolingo/other test expiry date. To confirm a seat, applicants need to pay the first semester fee in full before the offer expiry date. If this does not happen the offer will automatically expire. Students should not wait to pay and confirm until they have their IELTS/TOEFL/other scores.
The institution will temporarily accept:
- Documents which are not attested/notarized
- English translated documents without notarization
- Copies of originals not attested as “true copies”
- Use of representation form not signed by the student