Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Frequently asked questions about the UK

Here are some answers to help you know the UK better

Moving to a new country is not easy. The lifestyle, classroom environment, transportation – everything is going to be different from India. And we know you have a lot of questions in your mind, so have answered common questions students like you raise about studying and living in the UK.

Do institutions from the UK accept 10+2+3 education system of India?

Yes, 10+2+3 system is accepted by UK universities for masters programs.

What and where to study in the UK after 12th?

Choosing a program and an institution solely depends on your interests, academic background, and budget. To decide where to study and what to pursue, you can start by creating a list of your interests and skills and spend some time reflecting upon it. Do your research to understand which skillset or interest has a good scope professionally. Narrow down your choices accordingly and search for relevant courses and institutions.

ou’ll also have to take intakes of your preferred courses into consideration, because not all universities or colleges offer programs in all three intakes.

Our handy guide can help you choose a course that suits your profile and needs the best. You can book a free counselling session with our experienced counsellors who can advise you on course selection, application submission, and visa procedure.

What and where to study in the UK after graduation?

Pursuing masters in the UK can be one of the best decisions of your life since it’ll not only enhance your technical skills but also give your CV an edge over others. As an Indian student with an undergrad degree, you should be ideally looking for an institution that emphasises on practical knowledge, hands-on experience and getting you job-ready. Universities and colleges in the UK provide a research-based learning approach wherein you’ll be implementing all the concepts and ideas you gather in the classroom.

You can choose from two kinds of postgraduate courses in the UK – taught and research. Taught masters are mostly MA or M.Sc. degrees that have a duration of 12 months (full-time) and 24-months (part-time). Research masters programs usually offer M.Phil. degrees and are quite intensive. They usually take 18-36 months to complete.

Begin by taking a look at the subjects you learnt in your undergrad program, list down the ones that interest you. Narrow down to your preferred niche and search for possible programs and universities. Applying to British universities and colleges would also require you to take language and/or aptitude tests. So, do consider your academic scores while deciding what and where to study. Look for the intake offered for your preferred courses and prepare accordingly.

Our experienced counsellors can help you identify and secure the university or college where you can thrive. Visit your nearest IDP office for free advice on how to further your post-graduate career in the UK.

Which English language tests are accepted by British institutions?  

The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) is the most preferred English language proficiency test accepted by almost all institutions in the UK and is also advised as per the UK visa rules. However, globally, UK institutions are open to accepting other proficiency tests as well (do check the official website of your preferred institution for the same).

Can students work during studies in the UK?

All students with Tier 4 visa are allowed to work for 20 hours per week during an ongoing session and full-time during vacations. Doctorate students van work full-time throughout the year.

Are UK qualifications recognised worldwide?

Yes, degrees from UK institutions are accepted worldwide and known for their quality of education.

What are the accommodation options available in the UK?

As an Indian student, you can opt for on-campus residence facility or look for an off-campus accommodation. Most universities in the UK offer Halls of residence (self-catered or full-board) for students from other countries. Living as a resident on-campus is a very affordable option, however you need to apply for it separately, and well ahead in time to secure a slot for yourself.

If you are unable to find such accommodation or wish to stay alone, you can get a space for yourself on rent in shared apartments or stay with a local British family. Remember, the rentals will vary from city to city. Your IDP counsellor will also help you find an accommodation that works out the best for you.

Are there any special requirements for under -18 students to study in the UK?

If you’re 16 or 17 years old and applying for the Tier 4 (General) student visa, you must have written consent from your parents/guardians that you can live and travel independently along with the details of your guardian in the UK. Your IDP counsellor will help you with the same when you apply for your visa.

What are interesting facts about UK universities?

Some interesting facts about UK universities

Four of the top eight universities in the world are located in the UK

The UK ranks second in the world for the quality of it scientific and research institutions

UK Universities and research institutions have produced 107 Nobel prize winners

Free counselling sessions

Our experienced counsellors help you with the university and course selection, application procedure, offer letters, visa process and pre-departure sessions.

Study abroad intakes in UK

Most universities and colleges in the UK offer three major intakes for students aspiring to study abroad – April, September and January. Know all about it.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list

Please select a level of study

Got any ideal countries in mind?

No Event Found.