While a degree in computer science introduces students to the underlying principles and theory of the computing world, an information system degree is more about the practical side of computers. The degree is specially meant for those who wish to gain a deeper understanding of how to develop large-scale information systems. During the course duration, students also undergo an industrial internship program which helps them acquire experience and awareness of how the real world working takes place. Those planning to make a career in the field of Information System can pursue the course at the diploma, bachelors, masters and postgraduate level in Canada.
Advantages of pursuing Information System in Canada
There is an array of advantages of pursuing a degree in Information System in Canada: -
- Internationally reputed degrees
- Acquiring a student visa and admission at the Canadian institutions is relatively easy.
- A degree in Information System enhances the job prospects of the students all around the globe.
- Most Canadian institutions offer foundation studies as well so that students are able to understand the course in a better way.
- Being one of the most promising industries, there is a constant need for Information System professionals in all sectors.
- As a part of the course curriculum, students have to undergo an internship program that helps them explore and understand the real world working of their field.
- Job flexibility is high in the field of Information System.
Information Systems is increasingly becoming an integral part of all the organizations in today’s time. With a degree in Information System, students can get into a number of sectors and roles. These include: -
- Database administrator
- IT consultant
- IT technical support officer
- Information systems manager
- Multimedia programmer
- Network engineer
- Systems analyst
- Systems developer
- Applications developer
- Geographical information systems officer
- IT sales professional
- Management consultant
Admission Requirements for Information System in Canada
To obtain admission in a bachelor’s course in Information System, students must have completed higher secondary school with a good percentage. Students must furnish relevant school transcripts along with any certificates obtained in the field of Information Systems. They must also attach letters of recommendations duly signed by their teachers / headmasters. Additionally, students whose primary language is not English must appear for an IELTS / TOEFL exam and obtain a good score.
On the other hand, students seeking admission in master’s or postgraduate diploma courses in Information System must have successfully completed a bachelor’s degree in the relevant field from a recognized institution, equivalent to an undergraduate degree offered by the Canadian institutions. Additionally, some institutions in Canada may also ask for prior work experience along with certificates obtained in the field of Information System. For those whose first language is not English, they must appear for an English proficiency exam like TOEFL or IELTS and attain a good score for meeting the admission criterion.