New Zealand universities offer PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) education in a wide range of subjects. A PhD course in New Zealand means 3–4 years of full-time study, and the student is required to prepare a substantial thesis under pedagogical supervision. Before the degree is awarded, the candidate’s knowledge is tested through a verbal examination of the thesis.
Why Study PhD in New Zealand?
New Zealand has been offering university education since 1870, and has several globally acclaimed universities which provide PhD courses. Along with a higher standard of education and broader career opportunities, there are several other reasons that make New Zealand an attractive student’s destination to pursue PhD. Some of those reasons are:
- The Universities of New Zealand offer PhD study to international students at the same tuition fee as it does to a New Zealand PhD student.
- The student as well as his partner are eligible for open work permit, and accordingly have the right to work full time until the duration of the PhD program.
- If a student who wishes to Pursue PhD from any of the university in New Zealand has dependent children, then he is classified as a domestic student, and can avail education at New Zealand’s primary and secondary schools at the same fees as that for resident children.
- On completion of PhD, the student can apply for a 12-month Post-study work visa that allows him to search for employment.
Choosing the right University
There are a number of universities in New Zealand which are globally renowned for their academic and research performance; these universities offer a range of postgraduate programs including Certificates, Diplomas, Masters and PhDs.
It is always crucial for an international student to wisely select a university for getting admission. To make the right decision, students can consider different factors such as:
- Ranking of the university
- Placement history
- PhD Faculty
- Institutions’ Infrastructure
- Location of the university
- Ease of accommodation
Requirements for admission to PhD in New Zealand
The basic requirements to get admission in PhD in New Zealand Universities include:
- Academic Qualification – A student needs to check the academic requirements as specified by the specific university and should provide relevant proof of previous academic qualifications accordingly.
- English Language Proficiency – The student needs to be proficient in English language and for the proofs, he needs to show minimum required score points in an English Language Proficiency Test.