Considered the highest awarded degree in several US Universities for most fields of studies, it’s a dream course of many students. Ph.D. in USA is a series of three phases, wherein, 1st phase course work that requires 1-3 years for completion followed by a preliminary, a comprehensive examination, or a series of cumulative examinations. In the first phase, examination focus is upon the breadth of knowledge instead of depth. For the composition of a substantial and original contribution to human knowledge in the form of a written dissertation, another two to eight years are usually required.
Depending on the field of study, it takes four to eight years of study after the Bachelor's Degree to complete Ph.D. Program; and it takes a year or two less to complete Ph.D. who already have a master’s degree.
Choosing the right university
There are 282 universities in the United States that award the Ph. D degree. The criteria of admission and the rigor of the academic programs vary in different universities. Based on the past research experience, interest in Ph. D and undergraduate coursework, candidates can get hold of the list of universities that offer those programs. NRC rankings will help candidates in making a better selection.
Requirements for Ph.D. in USA:
- Statement of Purpose: Candidate would need to send a SOP (Statement of Purpose) to the respective universities that he wants to apply in. In the SOP, candidate has to indicate a fit between you and the program and the professors
- High GRE score: Take GRE General Test, an English Language Proficiency Test , and the GRE Subject Test as needed by the programs that you want to apply for. The higher the score, the better would be the chances of selection.
- Recommendation letter: Candidates have to send recommendation letters (including purpose of PhD and an essay based on that) to the institute they want to apply in.
- Language Competency: For language competency, students need to have high IELTS/TOEFL/Cambridge score.
- Financial aids: Ph.D. students at U.S. universities get tuition waiver as well as annual stipend. In case the university does not offer direct funding or a scholarship to a candidate, then he has an option of earning through research assistantships while there in the US. So, before turning down the offer from universities due to non-awarding of scholarships, candidates should consider this option too.
How IDP can help you?
The well trained team of counselors at IDP assists prospective PhD students regarding each and every concern about the PhD enrollment process. We, at IDP, help you with:
- Course selection
- Application submission
- Visa counseling
- Offer acceptance
- Fund or payments
- Pre-departure Orientation