What is The Minimum IELTS Score to Get Australian PR and Work There?
With its vibrant culture, beautiful landscape, and strong economy, Australia is a popular destination for those looking to work and study there. Gaining permanent residency or also known as PR allows you to live, work, and study in Australia!
As English is the primary medium of communication in Australia, you’ll need to prove that you can meet a minimum language standard for day to day conversations, be it ordering a flat white or talking to your colleagues.
Taking the IELTS test is an excellent way to meet the Australia language requirements. IELTS is the preferred test for immigration to Australia accepted by almost all professional entities and is integrated into the point-based immigration system.
To obtain a visa for Australian permanent residency, you can take either the IELTS Academic or IELTS General Training. However, you need IELTS Academic for professional registration and work in Australia.
Getting Australia Permanent Residency
There are three main pathways of work-based immigration to Australia, namely Employer Sponsored Workers, General Skilled Migration, and Skill Select.
To become an Australian Permanent Resident under the General Skilled Migration Program, there are five visa subclasses, all of which use a point-based immigration system.
- Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
- Skilled Nomination Visa (Subclass 190)
- Graduate Temporary Visa (Subclass 485)
- Skilled Nomination/Sponsored Provisional Visa (Subclass 489)
- Skilled Regional Visa (Subclass 887)
There are several criteria in the point-based immigration system:
- English Language Proficiency
- Work Experience (In and Out of Australia)
- Level of Education
- Study in Australia
- Specialist Education
- Spouse Skill Points
- Other (Nominations, Community Language accreditation, etc.)
To successfully gain a visa through the Skilled Migration Program, you need a minimum of 65 points in the Point Assessment Grid.
IELTS is one of the critical components in the system. While a minimum score of 6 in each area (Speaking, Listening, Reading, and Writing) is required, a higher score will gain you more points!
There are three bands of IELTS scores (Competent, Proficient and Superior) which correspond to a number of points allocated.
Point Allocation Table for IELTS Scores
Competent (Score of 6.0 or more)
Proficient (Score of 7.0 or more)
Superior (Score of 8.0 or more)
Here are the different score requirements for the various language test for permanent residency in Australia.
Per-Section Score Requirements for Language Tests
English Language Proficiency
Usually, your IELTS test results are valid for two years. However, for Skilled Migration applications, your IELTS scores are valid for three years!
If you aim to work in Australia, you will have to take the IELTS Academic. There are varying IELTS score requirements for different job roles.
To be an engineer in Australia, a minimum score of 6.0 in each section is required. On the other hand, to be a nurse, you will need an overall score of at least 7.0.
Make your dream of immigrating to Australia a reality.
Taking the IELTS is imperative to support your application for a visa to immigrate to Australia!
Are you looking to book your IELTS Test?
IDP is a co-owner of IELTS, and all our test centers are UKVI approved.
Sign-up at IDP today for a paper written test or a computer-delivered one!
You can also read:
- IELTS Indicator
- IELTS Webinar
- 5 Benefits of Computer Delivered IELTS
- 5 Best Tips For Your IELTS Listening and Reading Test
- 5 Best Tips for your IELTS Writing and Speaking Tests
- 5 Tips Sukses IELTS
- 6 IELTS Preparation Tips to Help You Ace the Test
- What A Band 7 And Above IELTS Written Test Piece Looks Like
- Computer Delivered IELTS is Now Available at IDP Indonesia
- IELTS 101: The Different Types of IELTS Tests and How You Can Benefit
- What is The Minimum IELTS Score to Get Australian PR and Work There?
- What is the Minimum IELTS Score to Get Canada PR and Work There?
- Types of IELTS required for living and studying in The UK
- The Minimum IELTS Band Scores for Canada Universities
- The Minimum IELTS Band Scores for Ireland Universities
- The Minimum IELTS Band Scores for New Zealand Universities
- Paper vs Computer-Delivered IELTS : Why More are Choosing The Latter