- Study Abroad
- Study Abroad overview
- Student Services In Malaysia Provided By IDP Education
- Student stories
- Course search
- Costs calculator
- Partner Institutions
- Step-by-step guide
- International Studies
- Upcoming Events
- IELTS Testing Service
- IELTS Testing Service overview
- What is IELTS?
- Book your Test
- IELTS for UKVI
- IELTS Life Skills
- IELTS Registration
- Prepare for IELTS
- View my Result
- Download Forms
- IELTS stories
- Become our Partner
- About us
- Contact us
Study in Australia
Study in the UK
Study in Canada
The IELTS test evaluates your skills related to listening, reading, writing (LRW) and speaking. It is a 3-hours long test that examines your lingual capabilities in English. You will not get any break between four sections during the examination. However, you can choose a different time for your speaking test.
Section 1 - Listening
- It is 30 minutes test, which consists of four recorded conversations and monologues.
- You can find the listening sample tasks and solutions in the form of MP3 audio files, Answer Sheet and transcripts to practice for this section.
Section 2 - Speaking
- This section takes 11 to 14 minutes.
- You will need to go through a short-duration discussion with a certified examiner.
- It is to check your communication skills. However, the discussion will be based on the real-life situation, to make it interactive.
- It has three parts - test-taker output, task input, and interaction pattern.
- This exam is for both General Training and Academic version.
- It has 3 parts:
- Part 1 will carry Questions About You and your family
- In Part 2, you will be given a Topic to speak about.
- Part 3 is a Long Discussion round.
Section 3 - Reading
- The test will take 60 minutes to judge your skills.
- The contexts will be taken from newspapers magazines journals and books.
- Questions pattern may vary from short-answer questions, diagram label completion, flow chart completion, table completion, note completion, summary completion, sentence completion, matching sentence endings, matching features, matching headings, matching information, identifying information, multiple choice questions, etc.
Section 4 - Writing Section
It will last for 60 minutes, where you need to go through two writing task of 150 words and 250 words in 20 and 40 minutes, respectively.
- Task 1: To describe some visual information
- Task 2: Point of view or argument as a problem
Benefits of Taking Sample Tests
The IELTS practice tests will allow you to:
- Review and compare your answers with model answers;
- Improve time management capacity;
- Understand the test format;
- Enhance your confidence level, so as to let you make lesser mistakes.
Some Useful Tips
- Feeling nervous is common during or before the test but if you have done enough groundwork, it will help boost your confidence.
- You can go through wide range of sample papers or videos from IDP IELTS;
- Discuss with recent test takers before you appear in the exam.
- Try to practice each section individually.
- Practice through IELTS sample test series.
- Construct your own particular strategies.
- Be precise, active, clear and smart while answering questions.
- Keep an eye on the time limit so as to attempt all the questions.
- Be effective with your communication use enhanced vocabulary and reply with relation to language as you are not being judged on a general level but communication points.
- Try to unify your ideas and maintaining links between your sentences, with an optimal speed and clarity.