Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Studying overseas FAQs

Am I eligible to study overseas?

To begin studying as an international student, there are a range of entry requirements you may have to meet.

The academic requirements (including evidence of English language skills) you need to study overseas will vary depending on the level of education you want to pursue. For instance, some courses will require you to have done a foundation course before applying for a degree. All universities and schools can have different entry requirements, so read the course information on their websites carefully.

Your IDP counsellor will help you assess your eligibility for different programs and guide you on the courses and locations that best meet your preferences.

How much will it cost to study internationally?

The costs associated with studying at a university or school overseas vary greatly. It depends on the nature of your chosen program, the length of your stay, the distance you travel and the kind of lifestyle you want when you get there.

Be aware that some student visas require you to have a certain amount of funds available in your bank account when you arrive in your chosen country. It is best to review the immigration websites for the country you wish to study in or speak to one of our counsellors.

Many students choose to carry out some part-time work alongside their studies to support their living or socialising costs. However, there are restrictions on the hours you are allowed to work to ensure you don’t lose your academic focus.

What should I consider when choosing what and where to study?

  • When deciding what and where to study, start by thinking about your academic interests and career goals
  • Take some time to research specific courses, subjects and options for internships or work placements
  • Look at the campus location, rankings, the amount of time you would like to spend away from home and the total cost of studying and living overseas. Also consider a country’s economic, political and social stability when planning to study away from home
  • Think about what kind of lifestyle you prefer – do you want to be in a cosmopolitan city, or a quiet country town? Would you prefer to choose a city where there are other students from your nationality? Do you want to be close to the beach, forest or desert? Do you want to live on/off campus?  
  • If you would like to explore the option of staying in the country to work after your studies you will need to find out about its migration policies and visa conditions. Also be aware that government policies can change at any time during the course of your study

When considering your study country, your IDP counsellor will be able to guide you on the courses, institutions and locations that best meet your preferences.

Will studying internationally help me find a good job?

Your career prospects will benefit hugely from your experience of studying, living and socialising overseas. It’s your opportunity to develop a wealth of new skills, perspectives and stronger English language skills and seek work experience from the kind of employers you’d like to work for.

Will my overseas qualification be accepted in my home country?

The skills and qualifications employers and professional registration bodies require will vary from country to country. If, for example, you are working towards a career with strict entry requirements such as medicine, engineering, accounting or teaching, do some research with the relevant registration bodies in your home country for advice.

What if I can’t afford to study internationally?

There are various scholarships and bursaries available for international students. The amount and availability varies by the level of study and institution. Scholarships are competitive and you need to demonstrate exceptional academic achievements to earn them. Governments and other organisations also provide scholarships and awards to help international students fund their international studies. Speak with your IDP counsellor for details of various scholarships available for your chosen course and university.

Can I work and study at the same time?

Working while you study can complement your educational and living experience. If you pursue a course at degree level or above you may be permitted to work while on an international student visa. Before you undertake any paid work, ensure that your visa permits it. The opportunity for students to work part-time during their studies varies from country to country.

Many universities have a dedicated job centre on campus for students that advertises job opportunities to help students develop various skills. The university careers service is also a useful source of information.

How long does the application process take?

We recommend you begin your application process at least a year in advance to give enough time for your applications to be processed and to prepare for your time overseas.

Bear in mind that the academic year begins at different times of year in different countries. Semester dates tend to run as follows:

Semester 1: starts late February/early March to late May/early June
Semester 2: starts late July/early August through to November.

New Zealand
Semester 1: from February to June
Semester 2: from July to November

Term 1: from September to December
Term 2: from January to April
Term 3: from April to June

Fall Intake: primary intake starts in August/September
Spring Intake: smaller intake in January/February
Summer Intake: limited programs intake in May/June

The above dates are a guide only. You should always check exact dates with the university or college you are applying to.

Do I need an education agent?

While you can apply to study directly to an institution, you may choose to use the expertise of an international education specialist (also known as a student counsellor) to guide you through the process of choosing the right university or college and enrolling thereafter. Using an accredited and trusted agent, like IDP, can help reduce the stress of choosing an institution in another country, applying and preparing to leave.

Our student counsellors are knowledgeable and up to date on curriculum changes, and have your best interests at heart. Most of them have studied overseas themselves hence can offer first hand advice every step of the way.

What if my parents don’t want me to go overseas?

It’s natural for your family to be nervous about letting their child travel alone to a new country. Millions of students have done so and thrived, but this doesn’t make it less difficult for parents to accept.

We encourage you to involve your parents in any discussions or appointments you have with IDP. With the reassurance of an international education specialist like IDP, your parents would feel more confident seeing you being assisted by a professional and responsible organisation in your applications and preparations.

Who is IDP?

IDP is a global leader in international education services. We help students study overseas in English speaking countries. We’ve been operating for close to 50 years, creating a huge network of opportunity in more than 30 countries.

Our experienced education counsellors work with you to turn your study plan into a launch pad for professional success and personal growth.

Reasons students choose IDP

Will IDP Education help me with advice after I am offered a place in the university?

Our service extends beyond study advice and applications. We organise pre-departure orientations that cover topics such as student life in your new country, advice on adapting to new culture and how to deal with homesickness besides managing money and developing soft skills.

We also host welcome activities when you arrive in your new city where you’ll meet fellow and former international students from around the world.

If you are moving to Australia, we can help you get all the essential services you’ll need while living abroad — health insurance, foreign exchange, accommodation, setting up a bank account and obtaining a SIM card.

Does it cost money to see a counsellor at IDP?

Our services are free for students. You do not have to pay anything to book an appointment with IDP. However, there may be some small fees for courier services or document verification. For more information, call up your nearest IDP office or complete our enquiry form.

Does IDP Education have any special relationship with specific institutions? How many universities and colleges does IDP work with?

Yes, we partner with more than 700 leading universities and institutions around the world. As a world leader in international student services, and close to 50 years of experience, IDP only works with the universities, colleges and schools we know to be of a high standard. This is based on official, academic reviews of those institutions as well as our experience of working with them and the experiences of our students.

What we do?

IDP provides a range of services to help people achieve their study, work and language goals. Explore how we can support you in your international education journey.

How to Write a Letter of Recommendation?

A letter of recommendation or LOR is an essential document that recommends you as a student, employee, colleague or co-worker to the admission officers. We'll walk you through with the complete insights of writing an impressive LOR tailored to your goals.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list

Please select a level of study

Got any ideal countries in mind?