Study Masters in USA
Find out all you need to know to start your masters in USA
Pursuing masters in USA is for individuals who wish to undergo further studies after completing their graduation courses. These courses include demonstrating a mastery or high-order overview of a specific field of study or area of professional practice.
In short it is further specialisation in the student’s chosen field of study. Taking a masters course not only helps students increase their knowledge base but is even a requirement in many jobs and positions.
Why study masters in USA?
The United States has the world’s largest international student population. It also has one of the world’s largest and most varied higher education systems. If you are still thinking about the best country to obtain your master’s degree from, here are the top reasons why the US could be your dream destination!
- Major hub of postgraduate education: American universities are internationally renowned for cultivating a strong network of alumni
- No#1 globally: USA is the world’s best postgrad student destination year on year
- Admission processes: American universities offer conditional admission. For masters, you can prepare for GRE or GMAT on campus
- Special assistantships: US universities also offer assistantships- getting teacher and research support that help postgrad students with their finances, and promotes integration on campus
- Training & post-study work: Postgrad students get an Optional Practical Training (OPT) which allows them to stay and work for up to 3 years- boosting their career prospects
- Valuable internships: American internships are incorporated into postgraduate courses, and they’re required for graduation to ensure students gain valuable work experience during their studies
- Cultural Enhancement: The US is a melting pot of people from all walks of life and cultural backgrounds. It also provides a unique learning environment to learn key soft skills
- Support & Services: There are strong student support services- where there are tutoring, peer mentoring, arrival and orientation, academic advising to ensure postgrad students make the most of their study investment
- Facilities: Students benefit from world-class research facilities that attract the brightest minds from all over the world
How long is a master’s degree in USA?
A master’s degree at a US university usually takes around 2 years of full-time study to complete, however, some courses many be shorter.
How much does it cost to study masters in USA?
The cost of the master’s degree in USA varies greatly depending on the institution and specialisation you choose. The average cost of tuition varies wildly between $30,000 and $120,000. This is just an indicative price, and you should always check out the full details of the master’s tuition fees at the university website. Your IDP counsellor can also give you updated information about the best master’s options that fit your aspirations.
What are the requirements to do masters in USA?
The requirements for admission to masters in USA vary from university to university as well as from course to course. But the basic requirements can be as follows:
- Academic qualifications – Most educational institutions require qualifications comparable to a US bachelor's degree.
- Recommendation Letter – Reference letters may be needed, and can be from college lecturers, academic professors, or work employers, depending on the university.
- Work experience – Depending upon the master's course applied for, students may be asked to furnish relevant work experience in the field of their study.
- Language test – Students whose first language isn’t English, shall be asked to appear for an English proficiency exam, generally IELTS or TOEFL.
- Work samples – Some institutions may also ask for written samples or copies of your published work as a part of their eligibility criteria.
- Additional tests – GMAT /GRE test scores can be an entry level requirement for a few institutions for specific programs.
How to choose the right US university for your masters?
The US universities offer a wide range of master’s degrees in different disciplines. But selecting the right university is a decision that should be made after due consideration. Everyone wishes for different things from their selected universities, but here are a few basic factors that can be considered:
- Academic reputation
- Tuition fee
- University requirements
- Placement record
- International student support
If you consider applying for your masters in USA, you can start by checking out some of the best universities in America to know if they match your needs and ambitions.
Here are the top 20 USA universities according to the prestigious QS USA Rankings 2020:
Speak with IDP Education counsellor today to find the latest information about admission requirements for your program and secure your place at your dream university!