Celebrating 80 years of innovative and inspiring education in 2010, Teesside is a dynamic, confident university committed to the pursuit of excellence. Students and employers have access to a vibrant learning environment in which excellent courses, great facilities and committed staff combine to inspire students to gain the knowledge and expertise they need to get into and flourish in their chosen profession. Teesside is a multi-award-winning university. In a double accolade the University won ‘University of the Year’ – the first modern university to win the Times Higher Education award – and Outstanding Employer Engagement Initiative award 2009-10 from Times Higher Education for innovative work with employers and entrepreneurial spirit. It was also a finalist for the Times Higher Education Entrepreneurial University of the Year Award in 2010. Teesside has ranked in the top three for 'overall satisfaction' in the International Student Barometer (ISB) for the last three consecutive years. It is also the best new university for student experience in England (Times Higher Education survey 2010).
الحرم الجامعي الرئيسي:
Middlesbrough, North East England, Teesside
Why Choose Teesside University?
Celebrating 80 years of innovative and inspiring education in 2010, Teesside is a dynamic, confident university committed to the pursuit of excellence. Students and employers have access to a vibrant learning environment in which excellent courses, great facilities and committed staff combine to inspire students to gain the knowledge and expertise they need to get into and flourish in their chosen profession.
Teesside is a multi-award-winning university. In a double accolade the University won ‘University of the Year’ – the first modern university to win the Times Higher Education award – and Outstanding Employer Engagement Initiative award 2009-10 from Times Higher Education for innovative work with employers and entrepreneurial spirit. It was also a finalist for the Times Higher Education Entrepreneurial University of the Year Award in 2010. Teesside has ranked in the top three for 'overall satisfaction' in the International Student Barometer (ISB) for the last three consecutive years. It is also the best new university for student experience in England (Times Higher Education survey 2010).
Teesside University’s consistently strong teaching record is complemented by first-class student support with modern facilities and affordable accommodation.
- Teesside soared into the top 60 national rankings in the 2012 Guardian University Guide rising 19 places in one year.
- Five of Teesside’s teaching staff have won National Teaching Fellowships.
- The University has an international reputation for computing teaching and research, and a health portfolio deemed excellent by professional and statutory bodies.
- The University has a reputation for particular expertise in computer games design, animation and sport and exercise.
- Design, computer science, nursing and health subjects have all performed well in teaching assessments according to the Quality Assurance Agency.
- Teesside has one of the largest UK higher education course portfolios in forensic science and investigation, criminology and police training.
- Teesside's international reputation for animation and computer games design courses resulted in a ranking of one of the top 20 places in the world to study these subjects (3D World). The University's Animex Festival attracts top animators from Hollywood.
- Teesside offers many industry recognised and accredited courses. On many courses students gain practical experience working in business and industry.
- In the 2010 Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES) Teesside outperformed the overall satisfaction national scores for learning resources and career and professional development.
- Teesside University’s new £13-million campus at Darlington opens in September 2011. It’s a high-quality, five-storey undergraduate and postgraduate teaching facility for students.
- The new £17-million four-storey sport and health science complex offers a dental education practice facility and sports therapy complex with hydrotherapy pool, underwater treadmills, swim flume and 3D treatment table.
- An overall investment of over £130-million in recent years means Teesside University has first-class facilities for students including specialist TV and sound studios, computing labs, newsroom, broadcast news studios, life drawing studios, music studios, animation post-production facilities and motion capture.
Teesside University has five research Institutes through which research of value to industry, the public sector and society as a whole is carried out.
- The University is continuing to develop its research capability, which is delivered largely through the five research Institutes. A strong emphasis is placed on applied researchdesigned to solve practical problemsof the modern world. To support this, the University continues to ensure that its programmes of study are appropriately underpinned by research, scholarship and evidenced-based contemporary professional practice.
- The five Institutes are: Digital Futures Institute /Health and Social Care Institute / Institute of Design, Culture and the Arts /Social Futures Institute / Technology Futures Institute.
- Research degrees are offered as master of philosophy (MPhil) and doctor of philosophy (PhD) in a wide range of subjects.
- Nearly 70% of all work entered by the University for the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) classified as being of international quality or higher.
- 85% of Computing research is in the top three grades for research quality, including 10% considered to be world-leading and 45% internationally excellent.
- 80% of History research is in the top three grades for research quality, including 10% considered to be world-leading and 40% internationally excellent.
- 50% of research in History is internationally excellent (with 10% rated as world-leading).
- 80% of General Engineering in Grades 2* and 3* (55% recognised internationally and 25% internationally excellent).
65% of Sociology in the top three grades for research quality
,(5% considered to be world-leading, 20% internationally excellent and 40% internationally recognised).
- 60% of Business in the top three grades for research quality (5% world-leading, 20% internationally excellent and 35% internationally recognised).
- 55% of Health in Grades 2* and 3* (20% internationally excellent and 35% internationally recognised).
- Built on Teesside University’s world-renowned expertise and reputation in digital media and digital technology, our Institute of Digital Innovation offers research and development space for graduates.
Teesside is an international community; its students, graduates and staff are internationally connected in work and community.
- Teesside has a community of over 1,800 students from overseas.International student numbers are growing at Teesside, particularly from China.
- Teesside recruits students and staff from many places and backgrounds. It delivers courses all over the world and its students study abroad on exchanges.
- Overseas students make up 5.4% of the students studying on campus at Teesside, with a further 1.5% coming from Europe.
- Teesside prepares its students for work in a global workforce whether they work abroad as part of their career, work for an international company, have international clients or work in an ethnically diverse community.
- As well as welcoming international students to study here in the UK, it also offers full-time undergraduate students the opportunity to spend time studying in Austria, Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, the US, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland, the Netherlands, Ireland or Germany.
- Studying abroad is an excellent opportunity to gain an international perspective – enjoy a different culture and way of life, develop new skills to impress future employers and gain credit towards a University award, and importantly make new friends.
- As part of its European exchange, Teesside has partnerships with institutions in over 40 European countries through the Socrates-Erasmus scheme. Students can choose to study at one of these institutions. Students from partner institutions are welcomed at Teesside each year.
- Teesside also offers exchanges with universities in the USA: University of South Carolina/ Slippery Rock University/Texas Tech University.
Teesside’s consistently strong teaching record is complemented by first-class student support with modern facilities and affordable accommodation.
- Teesside has more than 29,000 students and is given consistently good reviews in the annual national student survey. What makes these awards important is the scores come from the students –more than 13,000 full-time undergraduate students took part in the Times Higher poll. It highlights where best practice occurs and Teesside is consistently high performing.
- In the most recent ‘wave’ of the survey, Teesside achieved a satisfaction rate of 87%, placing it second overall out of participating institutions in the UK.
- 82% of its degree students are happy with their course - physiotherapy students gave a 100% score. And students voted the library resources one of the top ten best in the country among all universities in the UK and number one in the North East.
- Teesside scored highly for: high-quality lectures and helpful interested staff /a good library and library opening hours / having centralised convenient facilities on campus / a highly rated Students' Union and great social life /well structured courses with industry connections - excellent when it comes to getting a job.
- Teesside also performed well in the Times Higher Education’s Student Experience Survey, with an overall score of 77.3% satisfaction, placing Teesside 30th out of 104.
- Teesside secured second place nationally for its facilities thanks to favourable student reviews on whatuni.com.
Working creatively with employers, Teesside tackles real-world challenges.
- For international students, Teesside offers internationally recognised British qualifications and the chance to gain practical experience working in business and industry.
- Teesside won the Outstanding Employer Engagement Initiative 2009-10 (Times Higher Education Awards).
- Teesside’s courses are highly respected by local and international employers.
- Teesside has an excellent record of preparing graduates to succeed in the modern world of work, giving students the opportunity to develop the knowledge, skills and confidence to succeed.
- Teesside emphasises professionalism and transferable skills and many courses are directly applicable to specific careers.
- Many of its degrees are available as four-year sandwich courses in which a student take a year's supervised placement. This allows students to get relevant work experience, develop new skills, and deepen their understanding of their subject.
- Other courses include overseas study so students experience a different culture and learn a language. On some courses students can undertake a project for a company to gain commercial experience - an impressive addition to their CV.
- Volunteering is a valuable way to get the work experience employers often demand. Teesside offers a wide range of volunteering opportunities to enhance a student’s employability. It also encourages its students to be a mentor at local schools, a role model to help pupils increase their achievements.
- Teesside’s careers service was one of the first to be accredited under the Matrix national quality standard for information, advice and guidance. It can help students with applications and preparation for interviews with our wide range of resources.
- Teesside can help if a student has a fantastic idea and want to set up their own business via the graduate enterprise programme. Students can find out what it means to run a business by taking part in the enterprise development project and a wide range of supportive events.
Variety of Courses
- Teesside offers undergraduate, postgraduate and part-time study and offers a wide range of popular subjects from animation to youth studies, business and health to media and forensic science.
- The academic work of the University is primarily located within six academic Schools: School of Arts & Media; School of Computing; School of Health & Social Care; School of Science & Engineering; School of Social Sciences & Law; Teesside University Business School.
- Most courses offer the option of a paid placement year, study abroad and work experience.
- All full-time students can study a foreign language free of charge.
- A wide variety of modules gives students choice within the curriculum.
- Teesside University is accredited by the British Council as an English language training provider.
- Teesside offers a range of English courses to help students build confidence using English.
- To study at a British university, a student needs a high level of English to write academic essays and reports, listen to lectures and take notes, summarise academic texts, give academic presentations and take part in discussions and seminars. For students whose language isn't at the required level, Teesside has a range of courses before a student starts their academic programme. The University will help build a student’s confidence using English, adapt to life in the UK, make friends and get to know the University and local area.
تجهيزات الحرم الجامعي
Set at the heart of the North East, Middlesbrough is one of the most affordable places to live in the UK with student discounts widely available. It boasts one of longest coastlines in England, beautiful countryside plus major cities such as Newcastle and Leeds nearby. Middlesbrough buzzes with activity seven days a week with great shopping, bars, cafes, restaurants and nightclubs. Live music, comedy, multi-screen cinemas, bowling, and clubs.
Teesside is a vibrant town centre campus in central Middlesbrough with facilities within walking distance of the town centre. There are a wealth of shops, bars, cafes and restaurants on the doorstep as well as a stunning art gallery Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art. The Tees Valley is sandwiched between the beautiful North York Moors and some of the most dramatic coastline in Britain. Over £130-m investment on campus provides top-class facilities for students and a further £13m on a new second campus in Darlington for September 2011.
Middlesbrough has excellent transport links. London is just three hours away; York and Newcastle one hour by train. Durham Tees Valley airport provides access to the rest of the world.
There is direct access to local surfing beaches and wide range of sea and river water sports.