Study Direct Stream (SDS)
Studying in Canada is made simpler and faster with the new Study Direct Stream!
The Study Direct Stream (SDS) provides a streamlined study permit application process for students who will directly enter their program or course of choice at an eligible Canadian school. Because of faster processing time and fewer financial documents required, the application process is much simpler for Filipinos.
Additional Study permit requirements for applicants using the Study Direct Stream
Aside from the regular Study Permit requirements, the following are needed to study in Canada using SDS. To qualify, you must:
- Study at a post-secondary Designated Learning Institution
- Have the following language abilities:
- IELTS test result (issued within the last two years) with a minimum band of 6 or higher for each ability (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking) or
- Have a Canadian High School diploma from a recognized Canadian-curriculum high school
- Secure a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution;
- Pay your first year of tuition fees upfront,
- Undergo a medical examination before submitting your application, AND
- Use a Visa Application Centre (VAC) to submit your application.
NOTE: Applicants who are seeking admission to English preparatory courses (ESL, EAP, or Intensive English) are not eligible for this program.
According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada guidelines, a single person without dependents will require approximately $10,000 CAD per year, not including tuition fees, to cover living expenses. This requirement is fulfilled by purchasing a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution. In addition to the GIC, you must provide evidence that you have paid the tuition fees for your first year of study.
Source: Immigration Canada
To learn more, visit the Embassy of Canada in the Philippines website.