James Cook University is Australia’s leading university for the tropics.
Cairns (QLD), Brisbane (QLD)
Faculties: College of Arts, Society and Education; College of Business, Law and Governance; College of Healthcare Sciences; College of Marine and Environmental Sciences; College of Medicine and Dentistry; College of Public Health, Medical and Veterinary Sciences; College of Science, Technology and Engineering.
James Cook University (JCU) is Australia’s leading university for the tropics and is ranked in the top 2% of the world’s tertiary institutions for academic studies and research*.
JCU is Australia’s leading university for the tropics. With campuses situated in the tropical northern cities of Townsville and Cairns, students have access to the World-Heritage listed Great Barrier Reef and the ancient Daintree Rainforest. In addition to a campus in Singapore, the University also has a campus in Brisbane, a leading destination for international education, business, investment and major events.
Students at JCU have access to a range of opportunities to bring their studies to life, from real-world projects with industry partners, to field trips in the tropical environments of north Queensland. JCU’s Work Integrated Learning program equips students with practical skills and experience to succeed after graduation.
JCU students come from many backgrounds, promoting a rich cultural and experiential diversity on campus. A comprehensive selection of exciting and career-relevant courses are available at undergraduate and postgraduate level across a broad range of academic areas. JCU aims to give graduates the qualifications and skills they need for the global workforce.
* Institute of Higher Education, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Academic Ranking of World Universities 2015.
Did you know....?
- JCU is ranked in the top 2% of the world’s tertiary institutions for academic studies and research
- JCU is an outstanding contributor to student learning, according to the Australian Awards for University Teaching, Office for Learning and Teaching.
- JCU received five stars for job success from the Good Universities Guides 2016.
Semester 1: February
Semester 2: July
Areas Of Study
Students can pursue an undergraduate, postgraduate or research degree at James Cook University. The following academic areas broadly represent the many different study options available to international students at JCU.
College of Arts, Society and Education
Education | Social Sciences | Social Work | Arts and Creative Media | Society and Culture
College of Business, Law and Governance
Accounting | Governance and Management | Economics and Marketing | Law | Tourism | Information Technology | Professional Accounting | Business Administration | Conflict Management and Resolution
College of Healthcare Sciences
Physiotherapy | Speech Pathology | Occupational Therapy | Nursing, Midwifery and Nutrition | Psychology | Clinical Exercise Physiology | Sport and Exercise Science
College of Marine and Environmental Sciences
Marine Biology | Environment | Geography and Sustainability | Aquaculture and Fisheries | Terrestrial Ecosystems
College of Medicine and Dentistry
Medicine | Dentistry | Pharmacy
College of Public Health, Medical and Veterinary Sciences
Public Health and Tropical Medicine | Biomedicine | Veterinary Sciences | Molecular and Cell Biology
College of Science, Technology and Engineering
Physical Sciences | Chemistry | Earth Sciences | Engineering
Teaching and Research Specialisations/Strengths
JCU is proud to be a leader in teaching and research addressing the critical challenges of the Tropics, worldwide.
- The 2016 US News and Global Rankings places JCU in the top two Australian universities, and the top 30 in the world for Environmental Sciences and Ecology; the top five Australian universities and top 61 in the world for Plant and Animal Science; and the top 10 Australian universities for Social Sciences and Public Health
- JCU has been rated ‘world class or better’ in 35 areas of research (Excellence in Research for Australia, 2015)
- JCU is a member of the select group, Innovative Research Universities (IRU), an Australian network conducting research of national and international standing
- The Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2016 recognises JCU’s standing as a world-class institution, placing JCU in the top 50 universities in the world under 50 years old
- In 2015, JCU was awarded four prestigious National Office for Learning & Teaching (OLT) Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning
- JCU is the world’s leading coral reef research institution by publications and citations (Scopus Bibliometric data 2010-2014).
- JCU is creating a brighter future for life in the tropics world-wide through graduates and discoveries that make a difference.
Students on the Cairns or Townsville campus have access to a variety of services and facilities. Both campuses are located in natural surroundings, with state-of-the-art buildings set amongst parkland. Students are well-catered for at JCU, with the following facilities available:
- Food and drink outlets, a bookshop and postal services
- Clubs and societies and a variety of social events
- Libraries and study areas for independent or group study
- Exercise facilities and team sports
- Free Wi-Fi access available on campus
- Technology-enriched learning spaces
- Licensed bar with entertainment
- Preparing for arrival information
- Free arrival and accommodation service
- Orientation program
- Personal well-being and welfare support
- Social activities
- Returning home program
JCU Brisbane (operated by Russo Higher Education Pty Ltd) is conveniently located in the heart of the city’s central business district and is a short distance from popular shopping hubs, restaurants and a beautiful riverfront.
“I enjoy cooperating and contributing within the small groups in class. Classmates and lecturers are friendly, creating the best study atmosphere. Class activities, such as real business case studies, help to understand what is happening in the real world.”
He Li, China, Business
“THE BEST FIELD TRIP I have ever been on. My Biology class took a trip up to Orpheus Island Research Station where we spent our day’s snorkelling and surveying corals and our night watching the blood moon eclipse.”
Casey Perry, UK, Science
“The Master of Business Administration has provided me with great exposure to the business world. Being a person from a technical field, this exposure has made me flexible with both technical and management knowledge.”
Gowtham Premchand, India, MBA
CRICOS Provider Code: 00117J