Study Information Technology in the UK
Find everything you need to start your IT course in the UK!
Studying information technology in the UK is a fruitful decision because it’s a dynamic, fast-moving sector and one of the most sought-after fields across the world today.
Considered as an integral element of computer technology and business, IT is an indispensable part of the 21st century. Rightfully enough, many universities and colleges in the UK are rated as some of the best in the world in IT.
What are the benefits of studying IT in the UK?
Pursuing a globally recognised IT degree from the UK can open doors to many opportunities for international students.
- The UK’s IT courses thrive on practical training that makes you career-ready
- UK universities are known to provide access to a wide range of advanced equipment and software
- Globally, IT and computer science professionals are highly paid professionals. As per the UK stats, these professionals earn more than other department graduates. According to The Graduate Market 2019 report by High Fliers, the starting salaries for technology jobs (listed in The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers) can begin at £31,500 in the UK
- The technology courses of the UK universities result in high research output. For instance, the top-tier UK universities are members of the famous Russell Group which consists of 18 top research universities
- The close links between universities and industry leaders lead to building an extensive and robust network of connections for international students
How to select the right university for your IT program?
Selecting a university to study in can be rather tedious task. Here some of the key factors to consider while selecting the right UK university for your IT degree:
- Academic Excellence – Make sure the university you select to study in offers high quality education with excellent teaching standards.
- International student support – It is advised to select a university that has a well-planned structure for international students that includes orientation to the university, accommodation help and other advice services.
- Location – Analyse the location of the university and its nearby area as you will be staying there for a substantial period of time.
- Fees & costs – Take into account the IT program fees as it varies from university to university.
Application requirements for IT courses in UK
For a bachelor’s degree, you’ll need to show evidence and transcripts of your 10+2 examinations, while for masters you’d require to complete a bachelor’s degree from a recognised university/college and in the relevant field. For both bachelors and masters, the main requirements among the majority of universities are:
- Typical A-levels requirements: AAB including mathematics and physics
- Typical IELTS requirements: 7.0 overall, with no lower than 6.5 in any one component
- A good score in standardised entrance tests such as GMAT/GRE and English language proficiency tests such as IELTS is a pre-requisite
Average cost and duration of IT courses in the UK
|Education level||Average cost*||Duration|
|Bachelor’s degree with Honours||GBP 13,000 - 30,000||1 to 4 years|
|Master’s degree (Taught)||GBP 13,000 - 43,000||1 year|
*Indicative prices only.
Top IT jobs for IT graduates in the UK
With more than one million people employed in the UK's IT industry, you can specialise in an area that you are most passionate about, provided you learn the required knowledge and technical skills, most promising career options are:
- Applications Development
- Computer Forensics
- Content Management
- Cybersecurity and Risk Management
- Data Analysis and Analytics
- Game Development
- Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Hardware Engineering
- Information Management
- IT Consultancy (Business and Technical)
- IT Sales
- Multimedia Programming
- Software Engineering (Designing, Building, Developing and Testing)
- Systems/Network Management
- Technical Support
- Web Design/Development
Speak with IDP Education counsellor today to find the latest information about admission requirements for the best program for you in the UK!