Why York Is An Ideal City For Students
Written by Rachel Chin, December 2017
Located in the North of England, York is an exciting city with a significant Roman and Viking history. Once called Jorvik - it was the capital of a Viking territory.
With a population of 200,000, the city is full of vibrant culture, art, history, and heritage. Here are the reasons why studying at York is great:
As one of the members of the prestigious Russell Group, University of York is constantly highly ranked in the various league tables:
- The Times and Sunday Times (16th Overall)
- The Guardian (17th Overall)
- Criminology (2nd)
- Chemistry (2nd)
- Biosciences (8th)
- Psychology (9th)
- Film Production & Photography (9th)
- Forensic Science & Archaeology (9th)
- The Complete University Guide (20th Overall) with Eight Subjects in Top 10Times Higher Education World University Rankings (137th Overall)
Amazing Surrounding Attractions
1. Brimham Rocks – An impressive rock formation formed by rain and wind where you can do a gentle hike and exercise your body and mind.
2. York Minster – York’s world-class cathedral with medieval stain glass where you can climb 275 steps up the Central Tower to the highest point of the city and take in the city view.
3. The Shambles – One of Europe’s best preserved medieval street, the beautifully preserved traditional shopfront of The Shambles and the overhanging timber-framed houses makes you feel like you are back into the middle ages. Ideal for some window shopping and to soak up the historic atmosphere.
4. McArthurGlen York Designer Outlet – With over 120 leading brands to choose from, which normally offers discounts on off-season goods, you do not have to worry about spending a bomb during your student life!
Just two hours from London or Edinburgh by train, 20 minutes from Leeds, it is very accessible from bigger cities. You are never too far away from the countryside and the coast as it is just a short trip away.
York – The Chocolate City
Some of the world’s most well-known names in chocolate began in York – just to name a few Kit Kat and Smarties. Discover the journey of how the worldwide household favourite was first created right here in York through the visit at York Castle Museum.
Should you require further information, please contact us here, and we will get back to you shortly.
Register nowRead more articles