Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Employment while you study

Want to work while you’re in the U.S.? Here’s how.

If you hold a F-1 Visa, you are allowed to work in the United States when authorised by a designated school official, but only under certain conditions and in accordance with complex guidelines and restrictions issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.

There are several categories of employment available as an F-1 student in U.S. On-campus employment is the most freely available, while off-campus employment must be related to your area of study and be authorised by the Designated School Official.

In order to work in the U.S., you need a Social Security number (SSN). However, you can still apply for jobs without an SSN and use the job offer to get a SSN after you are hired.

For more information on working in the U.S., visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service website.

Working after you graduate

If you want to stay and work in the U.S. after you finish your study, you’ll need to get a new visa first. Navigating through the U.S. immigration process is often challenging as there are many visas and the eligibility requirements, and legal rulings are constantly changing.

There are a few common visa options which are most applicable to graduates.

Practical training on a F-1 Visa
Under this visa, you are entitled to up to one year of post-completion practical training. Authorisation for this type of practical training may be granted for a maximum of 12 months and starts once you have graduated or completed your course of study.

Non-immigrant H-1B Visa (Specialty occupation)
To obtain this classification, you need a U.S. employer to sponsor you, hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification, and the job responsibilities must be relevant to your education and work experience.

Employment-based immigration
To obtain this type of visa, you will need to have a labour certification. This process is often challenging and can take several years to complete, depending on the jurisdiction. An alternative may be to apply under another category, which does not require a labour certification. Most graduates will fall under:

1. First Preference: Priority workers
This category includes the following individuals who possess an extraordinary ability in sciences, art, education, business or athletics; or are outstanding professors and researchers; or are multinational executives and managers.

2. Multinational executives and managers
In order to qualify for permanent residence under this category, managers or executives of companies must have been employed for one of the three years prior to their transfer to the U.S. Additionally, you must have held employment at the overseas company in an executive or managerial role.

Register today
For a free counselling session
Contact Now
Over 50 years of helping students
  • Register now
    Why study in The US?

Recommended Articles

Asian student with books in a university campus

Why IDP?

IDP is the global leader in international education. We help international students study in English speaking countries. Our success comes from connecting students with the right course in the right university or institution and the right country.

What is IELTS?

IELTS is the test for study − thousands of the world’s most reputable universities and colleges will accept your IELTS results as evidence of your English language proficiency.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list

Please select a level of study

Got any ideal countries in mind?