Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Health and Support Services

If you need help, just ask

Moving to a new country isn’t an easy task. If you find yourself struggling to adjust, feeling isolated, or feel someone has treated you unfairly, support services are available.

Nearly all universities, colleges, schools and education institutions offer a number of support services which are specifically designed for international students. As a first point of contact, you may like to contact your IDP representative who will be able to offer you advice and guidance on what to do next.

If you are unsure about your consumer rights, you can visit the website for more information.

Staying healthy while you study

You might find yourself in need of medical support while in the United States. If you are in a life-threatening emergency, call 911. It’s a free call, and connects you to police, fire and ambulance services. The U.S. healthcare system offers some of the best medical care in the world, but it is complex, difficult to navigate and often very expensive.

There are many types of medical providers, including large and small hospitals, emergency rooms, private doctors’ offices, urgent care centres, walk-in clinics, specialists’ offices, surgery centres, pharmacies and on-campus clinics. Emergency rooms in the U.S. are very expensive and are specifically designed for lifethreatening cases, very severe illnesses or injuries.

If you’re not feeling well while you are in the U.S., the best place to start is the on-campus health centre or clinic. Services at these clinics are typically available at a reduced cost or even free. Visiting a local doctor is also another affordable place to start medical care but you may need to book an appointment first. A convenient option is a walk-in clinic or urgent care centre as they are open for extended hours, you don’t need an appointment and they have the ability to deal with a wide variety of medical issues.

When arriving in the U.S., you will need to organise private health insurance. Be sure to check what your insurance policy covers, specifically around dental treatment. If you require a prescription for medication, it’s a good idea to keep a copy of your receipt and submit a claim to your insurance company for reimbursement.

Recommended Articles

Asian student with books in a university campus


IDP is the global leader in international education. We help international students study in English speaking countries. Our success comes from connecting students with the right course in the right university or institution and the right country.

What is IELTS

IELTS is the test for study − thousands of the world’s most reputable universities and colleges will accept your IELTS results as evidence of your English language proficiency.

Find the best course for you

With so many courses and universities to choose from, deciding where and what to study overseas can be a daunting task.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list

Please select a level of study

Got any ideal countries in mind?