IELTS UKVI FAQs
All your UKVI queries answered
1. Which IELTS test should I take if I am applying for UK visa?
If you are from a non-English speaking country and want to study/move to the UK, you need to take an IELTS test approved for UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) purposes known as IELTS for UKVI. Check here for more details on UKVI.
2. Can I use my IELTS test score for UK Visa application?
No. You need to take the ‘IELTS for UKVI’ test to meet the UK immigration’s requirement.
3. Is there any difference in the test format of regular IELTS and IELTS for UKVI?
There is no change in the content, format or level of difficulty and scoring for IELTS for UKVI. It simply follows certain extra security protocols to ensure the authenticity of the test taker. Also, your Test Report Form or TRF may also look slightly different from the regular IELTS one.
4. Where can I take IELTS for UKVI?
The network of IELTS test centres managed by IDP is vast. You can take IELTS in Sri Lanka at UKVI approved locations.
5. How much does it cost?
IELTS test fees vary from country to country. As a student from Sri Lanka, you will be required to make a payment of LKR 38,200 for IELTS UKVI and LKR 28,650 for IELTS Life Skills (subject to change without prior notice).
You can also check the cost of your IELTS test here.
6. How do I book/register for the test?
You can easily book IELTS for UKVI and Life Skills online. Alternatively, simply walk in to our office in Colombo and our counsellors will guide you through the registration procedure.
7. How many times can I take IELTS for UKVI and Life Skills?
There is no restriction on how many times you take the IELTS for UKVI and Life Skills test, however, if you pass the Life Skills test once, you will not be able to re-take it at the same level for a duration of two years.
8. Can I use my score of IELTS for UKVI for other purposes in other countries?
Yes, you can. IELTS score is accepted by over 10,000 educational and professional organisations across the globe.
9. Which IELTS Life Skills test do I need to take?
If you are applying as ‘family of a settled person’ visa, opt for IELTS Life Skills A1. For an ‘indefinite leave to remain or citizenship' visa, choose IELTS Life Skills B1. Refer here for more details.
10. How often is an IELTS Life Skills test available?
For IELTS Life Skills, the test dates will be available within 28 days at permanent locations.
11. When do I get my IELTS Life Skills results?
Results are available within seven days of the test. Find detailed information on IELTS Life Skills, read here.