Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Employment prospects in the UK

Want to work while you’re in the UK? Here’s how.

Working part-time while you are studying can be a great way to help with the cost of living in the UK and also gain work experience in your field of study.
If you have a Tier 4 (general) or a Tier 4 (child) visa, you can work during your studies and holidays if you:

  • are studying at a publicly-funded higher education institution
  • are studying a short-term study abroad program with an overseas higher education institution
  • are over 16
  • are studying a course at NQF level 6 (degree level) and above

Get Free Assistance From Our Experts

However, there may be limits on the type of work you can do and your working hours. Most students can work upto 20 hours a week and full-time during holidays. To find out more, visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website.

You must not work if your passport sticker or identity card says ‘No Work’ or ‘Work Prohibited’, as you will breach your immigration conditions, which is against the law in the UK.

Finding part-time jobs in the UK

  • You can find part-time jobs in your campus or off-campus
  • The best way to get a job on campus is to regularly check your placement centre’s notice board or staying in touch with the concerned authority for openings
  • On-campus work opportunities include administrative jobs, at the cafeteria or as teaching assistant
  • For off-campus jobs, look for vacancies online on portals like StudentJob, Employment 4 Student, Careers Group London, etc.
  • Look out for jobs in hospitality and retail industry, they are usually available in abundance
  • You can also work as a tutor if you are a student with any existing qualification or expertise

Working after you graduate

If you want to stay and work in the UK after you finish your study, you’ll need to get a new visa first, or apply for a visa extension.
The three most common visas available to international students are the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur), Tier 2 (General) and Tier 5 (Temporary Worker). You can find out whether you’re eligible for one of these visas – and how to apply – on the UK Government website.

What Our Customers Are Saying

700+ reviews


Great support!!

IDP is reliable and I am very happy with their brilliant support. Especially, my student coordinator Sachi Piyasekara, guided me well and acted with due diligence. She is very helpful and kind. I couldn't find any other student coordinator so trustworthy as her.

Student from Colombo

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list

Please select a level of study

Got any ideal countries in mind?