學校簡介學校創立於1982年，並於2004年更名成為博頓大學(Bolton University)，提供優質的高等教育課程。坐落在北英格蘭的博頓市，鄰近曼徹斯特，全校共有13,000名學生；學校獲評為 “最快速成長的大學” ，提供多元且實務的學位課程。
博頓大學有現代化、小而精美的校園，友善且優美的學習環境，讓學生能快速融入當地生活。為提供學生絕佳的學習與休閒環境，學校斥資數億打造學生活動中心與多功能學習區，於2008年9月落成啟用，提供學生最新穎的教學設備。學校還與博頓市政廳(Bolton Council)、博頓初級醫護信託(Bolton Primary Care Trust)共同建造結合運動、健康與學術的綜合中心，將學習與社區互動緊密結合。
- 2008 The Good University Guide評定學生滿意度最高的學校之一
- The Education Guardian評鑑最快速成長的大學第一名
With a long history of quenching the thirst for knowledge, Bolton is committed to providing students with individual support and attention. The University can trace its roots back to 1824, when it came into being as the Bolton Mechanics Institute and then the Bolton Institute of Higher Education in 1982, before gaining university status in 2005, making it one of Britain’s youngest universities. The University has an exciting future ahead with their 2012 opening of the ‘Bolton One’ facility; a £31 million building which houses state-of-the-art teaching, research and leisure facilities.
Deane Campus, Bolton
學院及學系: School of Arts, Media and Education, School of the Built Environment and Engineering, School of Business and Creative Technologies, School of Health and Social Sciences
Why Choose the University of Bolton?
With a long history of quenching the thirst for knowledge, Bolton is committed to providing students with individual support and attention. The University can trace its roots back to 1824, when it came into being as the Bolton Mechanics Institute and then the Bolton Institute of Higher Education in 1982, before gaining university status in 2005, making it one of Britain’s youngest universities.
The University has an exciting future ahead with their 2012 opening of the ‘Bolton One’ facility; a £31 million building which houses state-of-the-art teaching, research and leisure facilities.
The University of Bolton has a very strong reputation for teaching quality, with a team of highly qualified and experienced staff.
- Teaching quality at Bolton has consistently won the highest ratings possible from the Government's quality control agency (QAA) and it has professional accreditation for more than 30 of its teaching programmes.
- The University has also been rated as ‘excellent’ by the QAA in the following subjects: Biology, Education, Health Studies, Nursing, Psychology and Textiles.
- The Learning Enhancement & Professional Development Unit at Bolton seeks to promote excellence in teaching and learning in higher education to provide the best possible learning experience for all students studying at the University.
- The University’s Building Studies course was ranked the best in the country according to the National Student Survey (2008); the institution’s Mechanical Engineering course was also rated amongst the top three in the UK.
- £10 million has been spent on significant improvements to the existing teaching facilities over the past three years. There is £31 million currently being invested into the building of Bolton One.
The University of Bolton enjoys an excellent reputation locally, nationally and internationally for the quality of its research activities.
- The University is committed to an interdisciplinary approach that supports research across different academic areas which is essential to the University's culture of enterprise and development.
- Research and innovation underpins the University's teaching and ensures the rigour and quality of all courses. This ensures that Bolton students benefit from outstanding teaching, in an environment which is conducive to discovery and new ways of thinking.
- UK Research Councils, the European Union, the Northwest Development Agency, the Training and Development Agency for Schools, the NHS and many other private and public organisations provide a significant source of funding for research and enterprise activities.
- The University of Bolton is home to three research centres: the Institute for Educational Cybernetics, the Centre for Research for Health and Wellbeing and the Centre for Materials Research and Innovation.
The University of Bolton boasts a well established and thriving community of international students which has helped to create a friendly and caring environment.
- In the recent International Student Barometer survey, Bolton was ranked second out of 84 universities for the quality of learning experience, as judged by the University’s international students.
- 10% of Bolton undergraduate students are from outside the UK, including other EU countries.
- The University delivers a number of programmes in several countries overseas, working in collaboration with international partners. The qualifications gained through these courses are directly equivalent to those awarded at Bolton.
- The University is currently home to students from 57 countries. The University has an International Society which is one of the many ways that international students can get to know their peers.
Student satisfaction ratings are continually increasing at the University of Bolton, with each student being treated as an individual.
- Student satisfaction with the University’s overall performance rose to 79% in the National Student Survey (NSS) in 2011.
- Bolton University holds the title of ‘Top Greater Manchester University for Overall Student Satisfaction’ along with Manchester and Salford universities.
- The University meets or exceeds Greater Manchester average scores for student-rated performance in teaching, assessment and feedback, academic support, organisation and management and personal development, as well as overall satisfaction.
- The University has seen a continuous improvement in their overall performance; improving their scores by one percent for two years running.
- Bolton will open a new facility in 2012, ‘Bolton One’, which will give students access to a whole range of new teaching and research services, as well as a 25-metre swimming pool, gym, sports hall and on-campus health service.
- At Bolton, students are not just a number. Students study at a modern, compact campus and learn in small teaching groups, where tutors have an open door policy.
Practical, professional training built into the University of Bolton programmes gives Bolton graduates a distinct advantage in the workplace.
- Many Bolton students are exposed to new employment opportunities by working on ‘live’ projects for businesses during their study or through course-related placement.
- The University has special links with a number of International Professional Bodies, which provide exciting international career opportunities for students.
- Preparing students for their future careers is a key strategic goal for the University. All students are now expected to attain 10 core employability skills, developed by the University in consultation with employers, to ensure students meet employers’ needs.
- University of Bolton students quickly move into graduate employment or further study. They are within the top five universities in the region for the number of students who find graduate-level jobs or carry on with their education six months after graduation (Times Good University Guide 2008).
- Over half of the University’s first degree graduates obtained first class or upper second degree classifications.
- The University provides on-going support for fast rising professionals in a variety of sectors; ensuring that both new and old students maintain the cutting-edge skills needed to keep them at the top within their specialised sectors.
Variety of Courses
The University of Bolton offer a broad academic portfolio with courses ranging from access and foundation level to undergraduate certificates, diplomas, degrees and postgraduate masters and doctorates.
- The University of Bolton has four academic faculties offering an exciting and innovative range of professional development courses. The schools offering courses are the: School of Arts, Media and Education, School of the Built Environment and Engineering, School of Business and Creative Technologies and School of Health and Social Sciences.
- Bolton offers a full and challenging range of courses, from HNDs and Foundation degrees to Undergraduate, Masters, MPhil and PhD research degrees. There are also continuing Professional Development and short courses on offer.
- The University also offers a range of pre-degree and FE courses including access and foundation qualifications that prepare students to study at undergraduate level.
- Bolton offers a number of niche programmes to suit specific and specialised interests, including textiles and computer games.
- The University of Bolton has strong relationships with both public and private sector organisations. This includes working with a regional SME to improve their competitive edge or collaborating with international, multi-million pound research programmes.
- The University has two intakes a year, one in January and one in September, in order to offer students maximum flexibility.
The University has one campus (Deane Campus) is located within walking distance of Bolton town centre. Campus life offers students a bright range of facilities, including an impressive Students’ Union, sports and recreation services and plenty of places to eat and relax.
The town of Bolton itself is a great location for university students to be based. It has excellent shopping and leisure facilities and is on the doorstep of the beautiful Pennine countryside. The town has plenty of history and is home to hundreds of listed buildings, a spectacular Town Hall as well as an Art Gallery and Museum. Bolton is vibrant by day and night, with its numerous green areas for relaxing and cosmopolitan bars and night clubs for livelier evenings. Furthermore, the internationally renowned cultural, sporting and retail cities of Manchester and Liverpool are less than an hour away.
Bolton has excellent motorway and rail links to major cities. The Lake District, West Pennine Moors and the Yorkshire Dales are within easy reach, whilst Blackpool is just an hour away. As well as this, Manchester airport is only 20 miles from Bolton.