The University of New England
The University of New England (UNE) is a comprehensive public university offering over 200 courses at undergraduate, postgraduate and research level. UNE was the first Australian university established outside a capital city with a rich history extending back to the 1920’s. Many graduates at UNE have gone on to senior roles in government, education, business and research in Australia.
UNE’s main campus is located in Armidale, New South Wales, UNE Sydney, located in Parramatta, open to international students with select courses in 2019. UNE holds three different faculties – the Faculty of Humanities, Arts, Social Sciences, and Education, the Faculty of Medicine and Health, and the Faculty of Science, Agriculture, Business and Law. Students can choose to study full time on campus in Australia or by distance online.
Students can take advantage of the university’s impressive learning and leisure facilities, including beautiful lawns and gardens, a student bar, coffee shops and brasserie. Multiple campus libraries hold a comprehensive stock of reference books, journals and online resources. Students can also Access Sport UNE a state-of-the-art sports centre complete with a gym, a climbing wall, indoor pool and athletics fields.
Students at UNE also have the opportunity to get involved in a range of community-based activities, such as volunteering. There are plenty of on-campus social events throughout the year, including dinners, themed parties and an annual college ball held across its 7 colleges. Those wanting to get involved in a club or society have plenty to choose from, including sport, public speaking and theatre.
UNE also has a devoted careers team helping students with everything from applying for a job to finding an internship. Group workshops are arranged throughout the year and students can speak to an advisor for one-on-one help and support. Other support services include a counselling service, special needs office and additional academic skills support.
“Quietly sitting 475 kilometres north-west of Sydney in the NSW Northern Tablelands, Armidale balances a city-esque vibe amid a country landscape. This seemingly sleepy country town is in fact a buzzing urban centre with an impressive catalogue of galleries, museums, music gigs and theatre performances. There's a bounty of cafés and restaurants, many of which focus on local ingredients, as well as picturesque national parks, majestic waterfalls and plenty of walking trails to get your fill of country air. Suffice to say, its cover has been blown.” - Australian Traveller
Students living in Armidale will experience the best of both worlds- rural and city life. They will have an active balanced lifestyle with gourmet food, the best sports facilities, shopping outlets, cultural delights- all at affordable prices.
UNE maintains a high-standard for teaching quality utilising its small student-to-teacher ratio, giving students excellent access to award-winning teachers. In the International Student Barometer 2017, UNE was ranked 1st in learning in Australia.
With particular strengths in agriculture, business and nursing, UNE offers unique access to Australia’s best educators. Academics who teach at the university are also actively involved in research. In many cases, the people who teach are world experts in their field. UNE ranks at or above world standard in research in nearly 40 subject areas (2018 Excellence in Research for Australia by the Australian Research Council).
Good Universities Guide 2019 ranked UNE 1st, with five stars, in New South Wales for Teaching Quality and Overall Experience.
In 2017, UNE Chemistry Senior Lecturer, Dr Erica Smith, was named the Royal Australian Chemistry Institute’s Educator of the Year.
Study options are offered across:
Faculty of Humanities, Arts, Social Sciences, and Education
The faculty supports an outstanding learning and student experience through provision of a range of courses, at undergraduate and postgraduate levels and prepares graduates to achieve their potential in a complex and changing global environment. It comprises:
- School of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences
- School of Education
Faculty of Medicine and Health
- School of Health
- School of Psychology
- School of Rural Medicine
Faculty of Science, Agriculture, Business and Law
The faculty is an innovative collaboration of scientists, researchers, and academics designed to deliver cutting-edge education and real-world learning. It has over 700 staff and postgraduate students with international reach and active industry collaborations and partners across Asia and Africa.
- School of Science and Technology
- School of Environmental and Rural Science
- UNE Business School
- School of Law
The majority of UNE courses are available online. Most international students study full time on campus on a student visa however, as a provider of online education, international students can choose to study at UNE from overseas or in Australia (on a visa other than a Student Visa) in the online education mode. This allows students to balance their working and life commitments while gaining an internationally recognized Australian qualification.
Listed below are general requirements…
Undergraduate Entry Requirements
To gain admission into UNE undergraduate courses, students must have an educational qualification at least equivalent to Year 12 completion in Australia.
Postgraduate Entry Requirements
To qualify for admission onto the postgraduate level, students should have the educational qualification equivalent to an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) bachelor degree.
View more entry requirement details…
Students can also view the UNE Course and Unit Catalogue.
English language requirements
At least one of the following criteria must be met by international students:
- English is the applicant's first language or
- Satisfactory completion, within five years of the date of application for admission to UNE, of at least one year of full-time or equivalent full-time study at senior secondary, post-secondary or tertiary level in a country in which English is the primary official language or co-official language
- A pass grade or better in an English language subject at Australian Year 12 level or overseas equivalent or
- An IELTS (academic) overall score of at least 6.0 with no sub-band less than 5.5 or equivalent TOEFL score of at least 213 in the computer-based test or at least 79 in the internet-based test with no less than 22 in the written component or a PTE Academic minimum overall score of 57 with no skill less than 50
- Satisfactory completion of the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) programme at the University of New England English Language Centre, or an equivalent.
- Satisfactory completion on a prior or concurrent basis of an English communication skills programme appropriate for specific programmes approved by the Pro Vice-Chancellor.
English Language Centre (ELC)
ELC offers direct entry English for Academic Purposes programmes to help students prepare for further study at UNE and give them the skills and knowledge they will need to understand how to be successful in their studies.
Scholarships & funding
There are several scholarships available to international students who are pursuing a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) at the University of New England.
UNE PhD.I Research Award Scholarship
The UNE PhD. Innovation Research Award (UNE PIRA) Scholarship is offered to top quality international candidates who wish to enroll in the Doctor of Philosophy (Innovation) (PhD.I) research degree at UNE. This targets research in two streams: Agriculture & STEM Education and IndoBeef.
The UNE PIRA provides a stipend of AUD 27,596 per annum, course tuition fees and single Standard Overseas Health Insurance.
The UNE PIRA scholarships are for a maximum duration of four years. The first and last year are to be undertaken at UNE, with the second and third year being completed in the candidate’s home country.
Applications are assessed on academic merit and research potential.
Applications for the 2020 round will open in August 2019.
UNE International Postgraduate Research Award
The UNE International Postgraduate Research Award (IPRA) scholarship is awarded to high achieving international students looking to gain admission to a UNE postgraduate research degree. This is open to UNE researchers of all disciplines.
This awards students on an annual basis-AUD 27,596, course tuition fees and single Standard Overseas Health Insurance.
This scholarship’s duration is a maximum of three years full time (for doctoral level) and two years full time (for research masters programmes).
Applications for the 2020 round will open in August 2019.
UNE International Accommodation Scholarships
These scholarship offers include…
- Up to AUD11,000 annual accommodation fees (the amount may vary based on individual colleges and scholarship amount awarded)
- Residential college room- fully furnished
- Utility costs (water, electricity, heating)
- Wi-Fi access (free internet)
- 24/7 campus security
- Residential student support
- Free train station or airport transfer within Armidale
Some of UNE’s on-campus facilities include…
- Residential Colleges:UNE has an extensive network of 7 colleges offering a wide range of accommodation options on campus.
- Sport UNE: This offers students a great range of on-campus sporting facilities, including a state-of-the-art gym, rock climbing, soccer, yoga, archery, hockey and basketball. The indoor pool, currently being renovated, is due to re-open August 2019.
- Café Life: Located in the centre of the campus, the Café is a great place for lunch, snacks or an espresso coffee during the day.
- The Bistro: Located in the heart of campus, the Strop bar is the place for students to hang out, play a game of pool or get lunch.
- The Booloominbah Collection: The Brasserie and Courtyard Café are located in the historic Booloominbah homestead. Students can relax with coffee and cake or enjoy excellent food for breakfast or lunch throughout the year at Booloominbah.
- Campus Essentials: A retail shop, newsagent and post-office rolled into one, Campus Essentials has everything needed for life at UNE including purchasing textbooks.
- Sleek Hair Studio: UNE's very own hair salon - with great deals for students on haircuts, massages, beauty treatments and products.
- Natural History Museum: A great place to take in the wonders of our natural world, enjoy the café and meeting room.
- UNE Medical Centre:International students are able to access this facility and use their Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for a number of different health services. The UNE Medical Centre is located adjacent to Armidale Public hospital in the School of Rural Medicine building.
- Museum of Antiquities:This is Australia’s only museum of regional ancient history and archaeology.