FAQs on Using Western Union with IDP
Why should you use WU® GlobalPay for Students?
Western Union provides services to education institutions including receiving tuition fees from its students. Some benefits for you of using the WU® GlobalPay for Students Platform are:
- Pay education fees such as tuition, insurance and accommodation charges in the currency of your choice.
- Choose from a wide range of payment options including bank transfer, e-wallet or credit card.
- Pay direct from your smartphone.
- No hidden charges or receiving bank fees.
- You can pay from anywhere, and anyone can pay for you.
- Your funds arrive at your institution quickly and in full.
- We hold your exchange rate for 72 hours.
- Track the status of your payment online
How does it work?
Western Union partners with education institutions, accommodation and insurance providers to offer students a quick and easy way to pay fees in the currency of your choice. We partner with many of the top universities in Australia, Canada, US, UK and New Zealand who trust us to manage international payments on behalf of their students. We use our network of local bank accounts and relationships with payment partners to manage the exchange into your institution’s local currency so you don’t have to worry about currency volatility. Your payment will arrive in full at your institution which will help expedite visa applications and enrolment.
What payment options are available?
WU® GlobalPay for Students offers many different payment options. Depending on where you are making your payment from, GlobalPay for Students allows you to make payments through providers such as UnionPay and Alipay in China, ICICI in India, Sofort and iDEAL in Europe, and Hana Bank in South Korea. Students also have the option to make payments directly from their bank account or with a major credit card in participating countries.
Can I pay with my credit card?
Major credit cards are accepted when submitting a payment to select institutions in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the United Kingdom, US, Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan. If you are sending a payment to one of these participating institutions, you can use a credit card when completing their transaction online through GlobalPay for Students. This payment method will be displayed as one of the options after selecting your institution in the payment flow. Payments by UnionPay debit and credit cards are available for students from China, Hong Kong, Japan and South Korea.
How long will it take for Western Union to receive my payment?
This varies depending on the payment method used. If you pay by bank transfer, your payment will typically arrive with Western Union within 2-3 days, other payment options may take a little longer.
Is there a fee for using WU® GlobalPay for Students for Students?
No, there is no additional fee for using the WU® GlobalPay for Students platform as Western Union provides services to your education institution and does not act as a payment service provider to you. Due to Western Union’s competitive payment network the risk of unexpected intermediary bank fees is lower than through other providers.
How does it work?
The payment process varies depending on the payment option that you select.
- Tell us which institution you are paying, if it's not already pre-populated for you.
- Then you will be asked to select the country you are paying from and the types of fees you are paying.
- You will be shown your payment options and the amount owed.
- Enter your student details.
- After this step you will be directed to complete your payment through the provider you selected.
How can I pay fees from China?
There are several different options to choose from when making a payment from China. GlobalPay for Student WU® GlobalPay for Students allows you to pay with your credit or debit card via UnionPay, through Alipay, China Pay, or direct from a bank account.
What regulations does Western Union adhere to when facilitating international payments from China?
The State Administration of Foreign Exchange (SAFE) of the People’s Republic of China is a state-run council responsible for implementing rules and regulations governing foreign exchange. The council has placed limits on international transfers, required documentation, and other rules and regulations that must be followed. Western Union works with payment providers to help ensure that all of these requirements are met for international payments.
How can I pay fees from India?
Students making a payment from India have a range of options when sending funds through WU® GlobalPay for Students. Payments can be sent online through a bank account including ICICI Bank and most major banks in India or in person from a participating WU Agent location. These payments usually settle in less than 5 days.
How does WU® GlobalPay for Students help Protect my information?
We employ secure socket layer (SSL) encryption technology and display a valid security certificate on every page.
How do you use my information?
Western Union uses the information we collect for the purpose of processing your educational payment. We abide by privacy laws globally and have controls in place to safeguard your personal information. We are continuously enhancing our program to ensure it complies with all relevant laws. For more information, please see our Privacy Statement.
Are credit/debit card payments secure?
WU® GlobalPay for Students meets the industry standard of 128-bit encryption, and the credit card processing is subject to the standard validations and authorization process operated industry-wide. Security code validation and 3D Secure, an additional security layer for online credit and debit card transactions, are integral to the card authorization process managed by the Payment Service Provider (PSP).
How do I check status of my payment?
To track the status of your payment enter your Reference Number at the following link.
Western Union accepts payments and provides foreign exchange services on behalf of its educational institution clients and not as a payment service provider for student payors.
Use Convera to transfer money with IDP
IDP proudly partners with Convera to offer a simple, secure, and smart way to pay your fees online. Convera’s platform is trusted by 800+ education institutions worldwide to enable payments in 140+ currencies across 200+ countries and territories.
Why choose Convera:
- Students, parents, and sponsors can use this platform to pay deposits, tuition fees and more.
- Avoid costly transaction charges from your bank.
- Pay online via popular options including bank transfer, credit, or debit card or eWallet.
- Compare payment options instantly and Convera holds the exchange rate for 72 hours.
- If you find a cheaper quote from your bank, Convera will match it in accordance with their Price Promise Guarantee. Ask your IDP counsellor for more details.
- Track your payment status by SMS and email.
- Multilingual platform available in 10 languages.
- Access 24/7 live chat on the platform, or contact our friendly team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- A platform built with security in mind.
- Ability to initiate refunds easily should circumstances change.
- Pay your fees via a global partner which has helped students achieve their education dreams for over a decade.