Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Canada Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP)


In our previous articles, we talked about work permits after studying abroad and part-time work permit rights while studying there. Canada is one of the countries that provide post-graduate work permits, quality education, and global opportunities. Now, with a little more focus, we will look specifically at what post-study work in Canada, or Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP), means, what it covers, and how long it takes.

Every year, tens of thousands of students choose Canada for their studying abroad. Canada, which has become very popular in terms of both the quality of education and the more attractive tuition fees compared to other education countries in the first stage, is also an attractive destination with the opportunities it provides after education and its multicultural and tolerant society.

What is Post Graduate Work Permit?

If your goal is to stay in that country a little longer and gain work experience after completing your study abroad, you will want to get a post-graduate work permit. Canada provides work permits for up to 3 years after graduation to international students who have completed their studies at a higher education institution. Unfortunately, this permission may not be valid for every department, school, or institution where education is received. In this respect, some situations should be considered.

  • Making sure that the institution you will be studying is on the Designed Learning Institutions (DLI) List

The institution where you will study must be included in this list determined by the Canadian Government. It may not be able to provide the necessary accreditation for institutions not included in this list. Even though the institution you will study at is on this list, your department may not meet this requirement. You can review the institutions in the DLI list here.

  • Having a valid Canadian student visa

When applying for the PGWP you need to make sure you have a valid student visa and that it has not expired. By paying attention to these, you can apply for the PGWP while you are still studying in Canada. Otherwise, you may be required to return to your country and continue the application process in your country. After receiving your final grades, you must apply for a post-graduate work permit within 180 days.

  • Being a full-time student

If you are a full-time student at your institution and your institution is on the DLI list, you can apply for PGWP. Language courses or part-time courses will not entitle you to apply for the PGWP.

  • Take part in a program longer than 8 months in Canada

Post-education work permits are not granted for programs lasting less than 8 months in Canada. In addition to the institution and department included in the DLI list, the length of study you will receive will determine the length of time you can stay in Canada.

  • If you have worked as a student, you must not exceed the period of work permit granted to you.

If you have exceeded the part-time work permit granted to you during your study in Canada, you will not be allowed to benefit from this right.

What are the post-graduate work permit periods in Canada?

Even if you meet the requirements to apply for a post-graduate work permit in Canada, it may not be possible to give you a 100% working prescription as the main decision rests with the Canadian Government. Each application is evaluated on its own merits and reveals its specific results.

Post-graduate work permit periods generally vary depending on the length of your study period. For programs longer than 8 months but less than 2 years, you can have a post-graduate work permit that usually covers the same duration as your study programs.

You can take advantage of up to 3 years of PGWP for two years or longer studying periods.

Your education period is calculated over the academic semester. Days that are not included in your academic calendar are not counted as studying time. Therefore, you may need to pay attention to this when calculating your studying times.

As we mentioned above, each application is evaluated on its own. Therefore, when you apply for the PGWP, many factors such as your academic achievements, internship/work life, career goals, the state you are in, and the demands for the department you are studying may be taken into consideration, in addition to your education period.

How to apply for PGWP?

As you can check the current developments on the official website of the Government of Canada, the fees for Post-Graduate Work Permit applications in Canada are currently 255 Canadian Dollars. You can apply for a post-graduate work permit within 180 days of receiving your final grades. If your student visa expires without receiving your final grades, you can apply for a temporary residence visa or return to your country and apply there. You can submit your application online or on paper. The evaluation period of your application is 39 days.

How can IDP Turkey help you?

IDP Turkey helps you realize your dreams of studying abroad with many educational institutions that Canada has agreements with. Get in touch with IDP Turkey's expert consultants and let them create the programs with you that will help you reach your education and career goals the easiest.

You can fill out the form to contact the expert consultants of IDP Turkey or you can benefit from Online Chat, WhatsApp, Virtual Counseling services free!

Follow Us On Social Media!


Recommended Articles


Cost of Study & Living in Canada

Learn about the cost of study, living expenses and most affordable universities in Canada


Study Abroad App

Want to know what it's like to study abroad? With IDP Study Abroad you can discover the real local experience with tips and advice from international students and guides to help you explore the best destination for your studies.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list

Please select a level of study

Got any ideal countries in mind?