Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Working while Study Abroad and Post Study Work Right

We can list many reasons why studying abroad is so important. One of these, and undoubtedly one of the most important, will be the global validity of education and the opportunity to work after graduation. While you are studying abroad or after completing your education abroad, you may have the chance to start your working life there and take the first steps in your career.

Can you work while studying?

If you want to work part-time while studying, there are some conditions for this. Of course, the country where you are going to study will want to see that your priority is to get an education. That's why you can only have part-time work permits while studying. 

The purpose of part-time work permits is usually for students to gain industry experience in their field of study and to alleviate their living expenses to some extent. It can be very beneficial especially for international students studying abroad to improve their cultural and language skills there. Students who work part-time in a way that does not disrupt their education life can turn their working tempo into a full day during the semester break.

Of course, these permissions vary depending on the country you want to study in and the department you want to study. According to this:

  • You can have a part-time work permit for Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctorate departments in Australia and New Zealand, and you can have a part-time work permit for Language schools, provided that you study for 12 weeks or more.
  • While your part-time work permit for your undergraduate and graduate education in the USA is valid only for on-campus jobs, you will not have a work permit during language education.
  • While you have a part-time work permit for undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral education in Canada, you do not have a part-time work permit for your language education.
  • You do not have a work permit in the UK if you only study a language.
  • In Ireland, while you can be allowed to work part-time for undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs, you need to study a language for more than 24 weeks to be eligible for part-time work for your language education.

What is a post-study work permit?

Everything has become more accessible now. Globalization has now become a part of growth. Studying abroad is also one of the best ways to experience new cultures in the best way. The work experience that can be gained after this education will also help you stand out in terms of your career goals. Therefore, this is usually one of the criteria among the options for those who want to study abroad.

The 6 countries where IDP serves provide work permits to international students for certain periods after education. These permits can vary based on the education you want to take, duration, and many other factors. You can learn about current developments and changes in countries and post-study work permits from IDP Turkey's expert consultants.

For guidance, for Australia, the UK, Canada, the US, New Zealand, and Ireland, where IDP serves:

  • When you travel abroad to study a language, you cannot benefit from a post-study work permit.
  • In Australia and New Zealand, it usually takes 2-3 years after your undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral education, depending on the departments.
  • For the UK and Ireland countries, you have the right to work for 2 years after your Bachelor, Master, and Doctorate education.
  • You usually have a 1 to 2-year work permit for the USA, again depending on the departments and duration of the study.
  • The situation is slightly different for Canada. In addition to the duration of your education for Canada, the post-study work permit periods for the institutions and departments you have studied vary. Accordingly, if you receive a 1-year education, you can be given the right to work for 1, 2 years, or more for programs of 2 years or more.

How can IDP Turkey support you?

With more than 50 years of experience in studying abroad, IDP now knows what is important for international education and has the data to guide you in the best way to your education and career goals. If you want to study in Australia, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Canada, America, and Ireland with the help of expert consultants, you can fill out the form or benefit from WhatsApp, Online Chat, and Virtual Counseling services free of charge.

Follow Us On Social Media!


Recommended Articles


Study Abroad App

Want to know what it's like to study abroad? With IDP Study Abroad you can discover the real local experience with tips and advice from international students and guides to help you explore the best destination for your studies.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list

Please select a level of study

Got any ideal countries in mind?