Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call or Chat
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Student Visa Requirement in the UK, Process, Fees & Application

Applying for a UK student visa? Here’s help!

The visa you need will depend on your age and the type of study you want to do. An overview of study visa types and application requirements is included below, but for more information you should visit the Gov.UK website.

Student visa typeWho it’s forWhen to applyArrival in the UK
Student route(General) student visaStudents aged 16 or over who have been offered a place in a course at a UK educational institution.Three months before the start of your course.Up to one week before if your course lasts six months or fewer.
Up to one month before if your course lasts more than six months.
Student route (Child) student visaStudents aged between four and 17 who have been offered a place in a course at a UK educational institution with a valid Student route sponsor, such as an independent fee-paying school.Three months before the start of your course.

Up to one week before if your course lasts six months or fewer.

Up to one month before if your course lasts more than six months.

Short-term study visaStudents offered a place in a short-term course in the UK, such as an English language course or training course.Three months before your date of travel to the UK.Depends on your nominated travel dates.

To be eligible for a Student route visa, you must:

  • Have an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Student route sponsor
  • Be able to speak, read, write and understand English
  • Have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course.

Applying for your visa online

You must apply for your student visa application online using the British Government’s official website (unless you are applying from North Korea, in which case you can use a hardcopy form).

You can apply up to three months before your intended date of travel to the UK. Your application date is the date when your application fee is paid.

Documents required for Student route visa

When applying for your Student route visa, you will generally need:

  • A current passport or other valid travel documentation
  • Evidence of funds to provide your living expenses for the duration of your course
  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number and documents used to obtain CAS
  • Passport-sized colour photograph
  • Tuberculosis screening (if required)
  • Assessment documentation
  • Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate (if required)

Additional documents may also be needed if you are:

  • Not a citizen of the country you are applying from
  • Under 18 years of age
  • Have family (dependents)

If any of your supporting documents is not in English, you will need to have it translated. Each translated document must be dated, and include the translator's name and signature and confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document.

English language requirements

You must provide evidence of your knowledge of the English language when you apply for your visa. This usually means passing a secure English language test.

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) have minimum English language requirements for reading, writing, listening and speaking according to your level of study. Your education institution (sponsor) may have different English language requirements.

There is a chance you may be interviewed by a UKVI officer as part of the visa application process. If you cannot hold a simple conversation without an interpreter, you may be refused entry to the UK, regardless of your English language results.

Biometric residence permit

As part of your application, you must also obtain a biometric residence permit (BRP) from UKVI. You will need to make an appointment with UKVI to have your fingers and thumbs scanned and a digital photo taken of your face.

Recommended Articles

Health and support services

Moving to new country isn't always easy. That's why most schools, colleges and universities in the UK offer orientation programs, which help you make new friends and get to know your new campus and city.


Protect yourself and your family with insurance. You should think carefully about insurance cover to help protect your health, your home and your belongings.


Depending on what you need – and your budget - you might choose to rent a flat, live on campus...

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list