Study data science abroad
Discover the benefits, study cost, data science careers and more!
Data science is a branch of computer science. It uses mathematics, business knowledge and skills, scientific methods and tools, processes, algorithms, and machine learning techniques to extract knowledge and insights from data. Data science safely handles that data and applies that knowledge across a broad range of domains which can be of major use in the formation of big business decisions.
No wonder why data scientists are so valued & highly demanded in many fields. Whether to find new business opportunities, to improve customer retention, or mine through data, organizations are increasingly relying on data scientists to sustain, grow, and stay ahead of the competition.
Becoming a data scientist is a bit challenging, but the key to success is to stay motivated and passionate about what you're doing. And this article will answer your questions and take you step-by-step through the data science field, courses, requirements, best countries where you can study it and benefits of data science. Ready to take a deep dive and explore your opportunities to study abroad?
What are the benefits of studying data science?
There are so many benefits of studying data science, such as:
- It's greatly in demand for many highly paid & prestigious positions
- It’s not a boring field at all
- It’s widely used in health-care, banking, consultancy services, and e-commerce industries and you will have the opportunity to work in various fields
- It helps you analyze the health of your business & to predict the success rate of its strategies and future market trend
- It helps you gain your customers’ insights, habits, preferences which can ensure that your product meets their expectations
- You can increase security of your business & protect sensitive information
- You can save lives specially in health care industries when you discover early-stage tumors for example
- You will be a problem solver
- You will make the world a better place
How can you become a data scientist?
You can become a data scientist when you earn a bachelor's degree in computer science, social sciences, physical sciences, or statistics. Also, you may undertake an online training to learn a special skill like how to use Hadoop or Big Data querying.
Can you be a data scientist without math?
No! Data scientists are essentially statisticians, and most data scientists have a graduate-level knowledge of math and statistics.
How much would it cost to study data science?
The cost of studying data science varies based on so many factors. Program costs will vary from university to university, and of course with each country. Some of the most common factors that impact your tuition fees include the duration of the program, ranking of the university and destination country.
There are many universities which offer a wide range of scholarships based on academic merit. You can speak with your IDP counsellor to know which ones you are eligible for. This will cut down your cost of studying drastically.
What are data science careers?
Data science is one of the hottest careers in demand. The image below shows the top data science jobs you can have!
Top universities and best countries to study data science
There are many leading universities in Australia, Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, New Zealand and Ireland that offer Master’s program in data science according to Times Higher Education as shown below:
Group of 8 universities (GO8):
And many other top universities beside GO8
Your IDP certified counsellor can guide you to more leading universities in the above destinations and help you with the tuition fees advice, university application submission, visa application and more! Get in touch with an IDP expert today!
Great! So, what are the required skills for a data scientist?
Data scientist requirements include many skills such as:
What are the best data science courses?
Whether you need a basic idea of data science or you’re building a promising career in the field, the specialized courses will give you the needed exposure.
Here is the list of best data science courses that will help you build your knowledge as recommended by data scientists:
- MicroMasters Program in Statistics and Data Science
- Data Science Specialization Course
- Machine Learning, Data Science, and Deep Learning with Python
- The Complete Machine Learning Course with Python
- Data Science: Machine Learning
- Intro to Machine Learning with PyTorch
- HarvardX's Data Science Professional Certificate
- Introduction to Machine Learning Course
- ColumbiaX's Artificial Intelligence MicroMasters Program
In conclusion, as you see, the demand of data science experts is increasing in many industries more than ever. And, despite being a challenging field, acquiring the right skills will build the blocks you need for your success. And as Albert Einstein put it: “I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious”. Feel it?
If, yes, take the first step toward reaching your career goals and enroll in an accredited data science program today with IDP.