Step 1 Improve your English
- Speak English with your friends and family
- Listen to English language radio, television and film. Try to listen to a variety of English accents including American, Australian, British, Canadian and New Zealand.
- Read English publications wherever possible.
- Write letters, emails or notes in English to practise your written skills.
Step 2 Understand the test format and rules
- Read the Information for candidates booklet which provides essential information about how to respond correctly to each part of the test. You can also collect a copy of this from your test centre.
- Read the Notice to candidates.
- Get to know what each level on the IELTS band score table means.
- Understand what the examiners are looking for in the Speaking and Writing tests by reading the assessment criteria.
- Get the facts. Don't believe myths and rumours about the test. They will only distract you.
Step 3 Practise sample questions
- Practise the test using these free IELTS test sample questions.
- Use the Official IELTS Practice Materials (two books available) which you can purchase online or from your local test centre
- There is a wide range of IELTS materials available you can purchase from a variety of publishers. For a list of popular titles, click here.
In addition to practising sample questions you may also wish to consider taking an IELTS preparation course. A preparation course will help you:
- practise the type of tasks included in an IELTS test (e.g. a short essay/letter for the Writing test)
- get feedback on your answers to practice questions
- become more confident in your test-taking skills
- help you decide if you are ready to take your IELTS test
Step 4 Try to feel relaxed on the day before your test
On the day before your test, take the time to refresh your memory of the test rules, test format and location so that you feel as relaxed as possible.
- Read the Information for candidates booklet again - this contains essential information to help you do your best.
- Make sure you know the test rules – read the Notice to Candidates
- Get plenty of rest the night before your test.
- Plan your journey − ensure you are familiar with the location of the test venue and know how you are going to get there so that you arrive on time.
Step 5 Know what to expect on test day
IELTS Pretest 2017
Ha Noi :
- Thurs, 10/8/2017, IDP office (Ngoc Khanh)
- Tue, 15/8/2017, IDP office (Ngoc Khanh)
Ho Chi Minh City:
- Sat 10/7, 8.30AM, IDP office (Dist. 1)
- Sat 5/8, 8.30AM, IDP office (Dist. 1)