Currently USA, UK, Canada and New Zealand have new visa policies that allow student to work after study. Come join us at that Study Overseas Exhibition Day to find out more.
As for New Zealand, following are a few details about the new visa policy:
Requirements under the Study – to – work category
If you are studying in New Zealand and you want to stay and work here after you have completed your studies, you maybe eligible for a work visa under our Study to Work category.
All applicants need to meet our health and character requirements. The other requirements you need to meet depends on whether you have a job offer.
Post – study work visa (open)
If you are a student who has completed a qualification or qualifications in New Zealand, but you do not have a job offer, you may be eligible for a Post – study work visa open for maximum 12 months. Then when you have found a job you can apply for further visa for upto three years under Study – to – Work category.
To be eligible for a Post – study work visa (open), you must:
- Have succesfully completed a qualification in New Zealand that meets the study to work qualification requirements.
- Apply no later than 3 months (6 months if you have completed a doctoral qualification) after the end date of the student visa for that qualification.
- Provide evidence of minimum $4,200 NZD available to maintain yourself during your 12-month stay in New Zealand (we will accept traveller’s cheques or bank documents in your name)
Post – study work visa (employer assisted)
If you are a student with an offer of emplyment relevant to your qualification you may be eligible for a work visa and for a maximum period of:
- Two years; or
- Three years if you are working towards obtaining a membership or registration from a New Zealand professional association which requires more than two years of relevant practical work experience.
You will need to provide evidence:
- Of the relevant of your job offer to your qualification, and
- That you have successfully completed a qualification or qualifications in New Zealand that meets the Study to Work qualification requirements.
If you are applying for a three-year work visa because you are working towards obtaining a membership or registration from a New Zealand professional association (such as the New Zealand Institution of Chartered Accountants or the New Zealand Registered Architecture Board), you need to provide us with more evidence.
- You must show that you need membership or registration to fully perform your professional duties.
- You must show that employment is considered relevant practical experience by the professional associations. Evidence might include documentation from the professional association, or from the employer, which say how the employment meets associations requirements.
Your application for a work visa must be made no later than three months (six months if you have completed a doctorate qualification) after the end date of your student visa for that programme of study or qualification, unless you hold a post – study work visa (open)
We will apply conditions to your work visa that relates to your practical experience.
These instructions are not applied to Limited Visa Holders.
Study to work qualification requirements
You must have sucessfully completed a New Zealand qualification qualifications that would qualify for points under Skilled Migrant Category (see SM14) and is:
- A qualification at level 7 or above on the New Zealand Qualification Framework (NZQF) and you have studied that qualification in New Zealand for at least 30 weeks (exclude holiday periods); or
- A qualification at level 4 to 6 on the NZQF and you have studied that qualification in New Zealand for at least 60 weeks (exclude holiday periods); or
- Two qualifications at level 4 to 6 on NZQF that each requires at least 30 weeks study in New Zealand, provided the second qualification is at a higher level (60 weeks in New Zealand total exclude holiday periods)
Students who have obtained a National Certificate, National Diploma, New Zealand Diploma or a New Zealand Institute of Management qualification.
Please note that students who have studied a National Certificate, National Diploma, New Zealand Diploma or a New Zealand Institute of Management qualification have been providing the incorrect qualification certificates with their application.
- The New Zealand Diploma in Business (correct qualification certificate = NZQF certificate)
- All National Diplomas, at all levels (correct qualification certificate = NZQF certificate)
- All National Certificates (correct qualification certificate = NZQF certificate)
- The New Zealand Institute of Management Diplomas (correct qualification certificate = New Zealand Institute of Management certificate)