482 Visa - Temporary Skill Shortage visa
Understand the Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482) and find out what you can do when you have this visa, eligibility criteria, cost and processing times.
About the 482 visa
There are certain jobs where there aren’t enough qualified Australians to do the work. The 482 visa is designed to allow employers to address this issue and bring trained, skilled workers into Australia. These roles are listed on the short-term skilled occupation list.
If you’re successful with your application, the visa allows you to stay in Australia for 2 years (short-term stream), or 4 years (medium term of if an International Trade Obligation applies). It allows you to travel freely in and out of Australia as much as you need for the duration of the visa.
The visa can also be a gateway to permanent residency.
Step by step guide to apply for the 482 visa
Firstly, find a role that you’re qualified for on the short-term skilled occupation list You must have at least 2 years of experience in your nominated occupation or related field.
Then, start looking for jobs that fall under this category. If you’re successful in getting the job, the employer must either already be an approved sponsor, or apply to become one. Once your employer is approved to be a sponsor and nominates you for a skilled occupation position, you can apply for your visa.
To be able to apply for this 482 visa, you must also:
- meet standards of English proficiency
- have a relevant skills assessment, if required for your occupation
- have complied with all conditions of any previous visa
- not previously had a visa cancelled or refused
- not have contravened any legislation around paying for visa sponsorship
- be willing to sign the Australian values statement
- neither you nor your family members must owe money to the Australian Government
- you and your family must meet Australia’s health and character requirements
Additionally, any family members you intend to bring may be scrutinised too:
If you meet all the criteria, you need to get all your paperwork together. Create an ImmiAccount logon. Follow the steps to submit all your documents and information. At all times, you must be truthful and honest. If you don’t provide accurate information, your visa will be denied.
The Australian Department of Home Affairs will inform you once they receive your application. You will be notified if they require more information, biometrics, or health exams.
If you are unsuccessful, unfortunately the application fee will not be refunded but they will advise why it was refused and if you have a right to a review of the decision. If your application was successful, you’ll be provided your visa grant number, the date your visa starts, and your visa conditions. You can then book your travel to Australia.
482 visa cost
This visa costs you from AU$1,265 for a 2-year, short term stream, and AU$2,645 for a medium-term 4-year stream. Your spouse’s visa will cost AU$1,265.
The time it takes to process this visa varies. If you supply all the relevant paperwork and do everything as instructed, for the short term visa, 75% of applications are processed within 36 days and 90% of applications are processed in 61 days.
The medium term stream is slightly faster, with 75% of applications completed within 33 days, and 90% within 49 days.
Documents required for your 482 visa application
These include, but are not limited to:
- proof of English language skills
- documents proving identity, including your valid passport details and change of name details
- skill assessment results
- ff no skills assessment is required, you will need to show qualification certificates, any registrations/ licences, previous employer reference and/or your CV
- certificate of health
- proof of health insurance cover for the duration of your stay in Australia
- character documents which may include a police certificate from every country where you have spent 12 months or more. You may be required to fill out Form 80 or Form 1221, but the immigration department will tell you after you’ve applied if this is the case.
- partner documents including their identity documents, character documents, current marriage certificate/ proof of defacto relationship.
- for each dependent who will accompany you, you will need to supply current passport details, birth certificates, and possible character documents.
All these documents should be submitted with your visa application. They should be in English or translated to English.
482 visa conditions
There are a range of conditions for the visa.
- you must maintain your health insurance for the period that you are in Australia.
- you need to only work in the nominated occupation that you were employed to do
- you must not be disruptive, violent, or threaten harm to the Australian community or group of people within the community.
- work only for your sponsor, unless you have an exemption
Can a 482 visa lead to a permanent residence in Australia?
A 482 visa can lead to a permanent residence in Australia in some circumstances. This is via the 186 direct entry visa subclass. You may be eligible for permanent residence if you meet the criteria for 186 visa subclass and are under 45 years of age at the time you lodge your permanent residence application.
Can you get a permanent residence on a 482 visa?
The 482 visa can be a pathway to a permanent residence in Australia through the 186 visa subclass. You have to meet the permanent residence conditions, including age, language and other requirements.
How long is a 482 visa valid for?
A 482 short term stream visa enables you to stay in Australia for up to 2 years, or up to 4 years on the medium term stream or if an International Trade Obligation is applicable.
What are the requirements for a 482 visa?
- you must be suitably skilled in a trade or career listed on the skills shortage list.
- you must be nominated by an approved employer sponsor.
- you must have health insurance for the entire period you intend to be in Australia.
- you must have adequate English.
What is the difference between a 457 and 482 visa?
The 457 visa scheme has been replaced by the 482 visa. There are a range of differences between them. Check the Australian Department of Home Affairs website more information.
Can I switch companies on a 482 visa?
You can change employers/ sponsors on a 482 visa, but a range of criteria must be met. You must stay in the same skill set and role.
Can I extend my 482 visa?
You can apply for another two year visa. It’s only renewable once.
Can I buy a house in Australian on a 482 visa?
You can buy a property in Australia on a non-resident visa, but you must meet the Department of Home Affairs’ criteria and requirements, This includes getting a FIRB (Foreign Investment Review Board) approval, and the home you purchase must be your primary residence.
Contact IDP today to find out how we can help you
Find out how IDP Education can help you with your visa requirements to migrate to Australia. We can help with a range of education and visa questions, so you can make your Australia dream a reality.