Getting you finances organised is important, with IDP we can simplify the process whilst in another country.
Banking in Australia
Keep your money safe and secure as you study with an Australian bank account.
- With an Australian bank account the Government guarantees up to $250,000 of your money if anything happens to the bank.
- You can open a bank account before you arrive in Australia with some banks, to make things easier when you get there.
- When you open a bank account your bank will need to identify you – take your passport into a bank branch to do this. You’ll also be asked to provide your tax identification number from your home country.
- Most banks in Australia offer specialist products or discounts for students -– take your student ID or letter of enrolment with you when you visit the bank branch to access these.
- Mobile banking is widespread in Australia, making it easy to pay your friends using their phone number, or pay in shops by tapping your mobile.
We’ve teamed up with Commonwealth Bank to make it easy for you to set up your Australian banking. Your IDP counsellor can guide on how to set up your finances before you leave.
Why Commonwealth Bank?
- Australia’s largest bank
- Join more than 5 million Australians who bank on the go with the CommBank app
- Bilingual staff in some branches and language-enabled ATMs
- An extensive Branch and ATM network available across Australia – including on some student campuses
- A range of special offers are available for students – ask the staff at any CommBank branch for more details (and make sure you take your student ID or letter of enrolment when you do)
- Tips and guidance about moving to, and studying in, Australia available on their website
Things you should know:Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 is a company incorporated in Australia with limited liability and subject to Australian regulation.