text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation
Call us: 1800 102 2233 (9am – 7pm)

What are the health and support services available in New Zealand?

Here’s a lowdown on the support services available for you!

It can be a little challenging to cope with the changes in your environment when you move to New Zealand for the first time. With a new set of customs and norms, adjusting into the culture takes some time, and you may need some assistance to absorb it all smoothly. But if you struggle to adjust, or feel alienated or unhealthy, there are a range of support services available to help you out.

In case you get hassled at any point, you can reach out to:

Campus support services

Dedicated to support international students via various orientations and programs. These may include supportive and educational workshops, cultural celebrations and academic support. Sometimes, they also help with student accommodation and employment/internship opportunities.

Student associations on campus

Most universities and colleges have their own student associations, which help international students manage their various activities along with academics. Some universities also have a dedicated international student associations to offer unbiased support to students from another country.

For instance, University of Auckland offers health and counselling services that helps ensures the wellbeing of all inter-cultural students. University of Waikato has a students’ association that bridges the gap between the students and the administration.

Student associations off campus

There are various student associations outside of campus that work for the welfare of national and international students.

New Zealand has a national representative body for tertiary level students called as the New Zealand Union of Students’ Associations that stands for almost 400,000 students in over 40+ colleges/universities that works for student rights and support.

Support for students with disabilities

Most universities and institutions offer special support to international students with disabilities, but it is best to communicate the same at the time of application to discuss if any special arrangements need to be made for you.

For instance, as an initiative University of Auckland through its Student Disability Services offers a range of support for its disabled students such as practical help and advice, emotional encouragement, study planning, crisis management, and liaison with external agencies.


Make sure you have a health insurance

Remember, most universities and colleges also provide with health insurance facilities to international students. Discuss with your IDP counsellor for the details regarding your health insurance options in New Zealand.
We recommend you to get registered with a local doctor or a medical centre located in your campus on arrival.

All visitors in New Zealand qualify for 24-hour personal injury and accident cover under the Accident Compensation Corporation scheme.

In an emergency

If you happen to face any emergency, call the toll free number 111. This is a common number that can be used for fire, police, ambulance or search and rescue.

Some other emergency contact numbers you should have saved are:

  • For medical emergencies: 0800 611 116
  • To report a traffic incident: *555
  • Reach the Language Line if you face difficulty communicating in English with the New Zealand Police on 0800 656 656. This service is available from 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. Monday to Friday and Saturday between 9.00 am to 2.00 p.m. 


A great way to come prepared to face various challenges of settling into a new country is by attending one of our pre-departure sessions, which are help free of cost for our students. Just walk into any of your nearest IDP office to know more about the same. 

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list